Turning Down Schools-Blacklisted??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathophys17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone know or could voice your opinions as to whether turning down a master's program acceptance could hurt one's chances of being accepted into that school's MD program?? I've been accepted to several MS programs and am having a lot of trouble picking one:eek:..and one program is at the school where I'd love to be accepted to medical school at this same year. I'm just not as excited about the MS curriculum as I am about another school's...

I would much appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Does anyone know or could voice your opinions as to whether turning down a master's program acceptance could hurt one's chances of being accepted into that school's MD program?? I've been accepted to several MS programs and am having a lot of trouble picking one:eek:..and one program is at the school where I'd love to be accepted to medical school at this same year. I'm just not as excited about the MS curriculum as I am about another school's...

One of my friends turned down the Drexel SMP for the Georgetown one, but was still accepted at both medical schools in the subsequent cycle.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Goodness gracious talk about paranoid. What makes you think they will even remember you by the time you apply for med. Chillax!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends turned down the Drexel SMP for the Georgetown one, but was still accepted at both in the subsequent cycle.

That is good to hear! Georgetown's CAM is actually in the mix for me...

Goodness gracious talk about paranoid. What makes you think they will even remember you by the time you apply for med. Chillax!

Hahaha, I am paranoid by now. I didn't know if they looked up your file or something. And I'm applying at the same time that I'll be in the MS actually.

First, there is likely no connection between the people reviewing the apps for the two programs and the databases are probably not linked - in other words, I'd say there's a good chance the people considering the medical school app wouldn't even know you turned down another program at the same institution in the past.

More importantly though, people know and understand the way things are. You apply to multiple masters programs, see where you get in, and select the best fit for you. Everyone understands how it works and turning down a program doesn't leave any hard feelings.

i've actually heard before that being in a med school's MS program makes it harder to get into their school. this is all based mostly on rumors and anecdotal evidence . . . but i guess the reason is that schools don't want to give the impression that their grad program is a back-door way into their school. one girl i tutored actually told me that her school told her this. personally, i did not get an interview at the med school where i did my MS, and know lots of other people in my program who didn't get interviews there either (but got acceptances elsewhere.)

this kind of thing probably depends a lot on the school itself. i'd ask students at those particular programs what sort of success the grad students have had getting into the med school. if you want my unsolicited advice i'd go wherever is cheaper :) looking at the amount of loans i am going to have to take out to cover med school, combined with the debt i have already from doing my MS, makes me feel physically ill.

i've actually heard before that being in a med school's MS program makes it harder to get into their school. this is all based mostly on rumors and anecdotal evidence . . . but i guess the reason is that schools don't want to give the impression that their grad program is a back-door way into their school. one girl i tutored actually told me that her school told her this. personally, i did not get an interview at the med school where i did my MS, and know lots of other people in my program who didn't get interviews there either (but got acceptances elsewhere.)

this kind of thing probably depends a lot on the school itself. i'd ask students at those particular programs what sort of success the grad students have had getting into the med school. if you want my unsolicited advice i'd go wherever is cheaper :) looking at the amount of loans i am going to have to take out to cover med school, combined with the debt i have already from doing my MS, makes me feel physically ill.

Interesting...and yeah, the place that has the program I like more is actually slightly cheaper, too. But only slightly.

Unlikely you'll be blacklisted for turning down the grad program. It could come up in an interview though (by accident, or some other way) so you should have a good explanation that won't lead the interviewer into thinking you do not like their school. But grad admissions are usually separate from medical admissions, and there are far, far too many applicants each year for them to actually communicate.

Also, I'm a person who was in an MS program that got into the MD program at their school. Medical school acceptances are a big crapshoot, so when people don't get accepted to their MD, they assume it must be because the school disfavors their own applicants. In reality, it's probably because they do not care that you're from their school. They have too many other factors to consider.

Also, I'm a person who was in an MS program that got into the MD program at their school. Medical school acceptances are a big crapshoot, so when people don't get accepted to their MD, they assume it must be because the school disfavors their own applicants. In reality, it's probably because they do not care that you're from their school. They have too many other factors to consider.

i didn't say that because i am bitter at not getting an interview at my school- i felt neutral about the school, and got into one i like better, so i honestly don't mind at all. but like i said, a girl i tutored from another school told me that they were actually told that straight out (that as MS students, their chances of getting into that med school were very low.) and the logic behind it makes sense in my opinion. but thats why i said i think it depends a lot on the school, i wouldn't be surprised to hear that some schools favor their own. which is why i'd recommend that the OP talk to current students in the programs s/he is considering about other grad students' success in applying to med school.

if i were the OP, though, i would go with the curriculum you like best. i only applied to one MS program because i had no idea what i was doing, and i was miserable for much of my time there (my fault, not theirs)- i should have spent more time researching programs and finding a better fit. still though, i learned a lot, enough to get me a good mcat score and a first author publication. which i'm sure i wouldnt have gotten into med school without.