turnoffs during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering there are all tiers of people on this forum, from med students to residents, fellows, attendings, program coordinators and program directors, I was wondering if you all could elaborate on some of the things that have turned you off in the past few seasons. Just a few examples include annoying questions asked (probably out of ignorance or high-handedness, whatever), rude or ignorant behavior (talking on the cell phone during the interview day in front of others, arriving late), whatever.

I guess it would help us (or at least me :) ) out, because at times ignorance may be bliss, but I guess that wouldnt be a great excuse :).

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who is interviewing prospective medical students, one thing that really sticks out to me is overall enthusiasm during the interview day. I really want people who at least seem interested in the program.

Therefore, when the interviewer asks how you're doing, your response (and the tone of your voice) should immediately convey something to the effect of, "I'm great, I'm so happy to be here interviewing, in fact my life's work is culminating in this moment, and I would be honored to train here." Hyperbole aside, the way this is communicated will vary from person to person, but you've really gotta act interested.

I had one applicant tell me he was having a bad day, which really threw me off, and led me to ask, "Is everything okay?" thinking there might be a true concern (just found out a family member was dying, interviewee became incontinent during last interview, etc). No, he was just bummed about the way his last interview went. Big mistake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feels like med school interviews all over again, but I was asked "so where else are you interviewing?"

I just hate answering that question.

Houstoncfh, that's horrible! I can see myself as being one of those applicants who is not overly enthusiastic. To be honest, I can't see myself in a program where everyone is irritating like that. So they probably won't be my best fit anyways.

Feels like med school interviews all over again, but I was asked "so where else are you interviewing?"

I just hate answering that question.

Any tips for answering that question? It is somewhat annoying to be asked that.

Yes! Ditto x 2, how is one supposed to answer! And why are they asking? I don't get it! It's such a silly question, who cares! The only thing that comes to mind is they're asking to see either how interested you are in the program/location or how competetive you are to others...I don't get it either!:confused::confused::confused:

Yes! Ditto x 2, how is one supposed to answer! And why are they asking? I don't get it! It's such a silly question, who cares! The only thing that comes to mind is they're asking to see either how interested you are in the program/location or how competetive you are to others...I don't get it either!

There are several reasons whcy they might ask this question.

1. They're trying to gauge your competitiveness. They know that you were good enough for their program but probably don't know how you compare to the other candidates on the whole. This is a lazy way to figure it out. If (for example) you're interviewing at a solid mid-tier university program (let's say UNC) and you reply to this question with: Duke, Hopkins, Penn, etc, they'll assume you're top of the list of people they're interviewing. Answer with a bunch of community programs, they'll think the opposite.

2. They're trying to gauge your level of interest in a particular geographic area.

3. They're too lazy to come up with good questions.

No need to get stressed about it, just answer the question. You can be vague ("a variety of different programs including - insert 2 or 3 places here") or specific (rattle off the whole list).

There are several reasons whcy they might ask this question.

1. They're trying to gauge your competitiveness. They know that you were good enough for their program but probably don't know how you compare to the other candidates on the whole. This is a lazy way to figure it out. If (for example) you're interviewing at a solid mid-tier university program (let's say UNC) and you reply to this question with: Duke, Hopkins, Penn, etc, they'll assume you're top of the list of people they're interviewing. Answer with a bunch of community programs, they'll think the opposite.

2. They're trying to gauge your level of interest in a particular geographic area.

3. They're too lazy to come up with good questions.

No need to get stressed about it, just answer the question. You can be vague ("a variety of different programs including - insert 2 or 3 places here") or specific (rattle off the whole list).

That's the only explanation! and in this case I would say a couple programs above and a couple below the said program's level so as to not fall in either extreme category. I hope this will make them feel comfortable about ranking me somewhat well. :rolleyes:

Agree with noted suggestions. Be as specific as you feel comfortable being. They are not supposed to ask, but if they do, there is usually no harm in giving an answer like "all across the country" or "in the Southeast". Answering so might expose your willingness to pick up and move cross country (or not) but answer how you feel comfortable.

<sarcasm>
Alternatively, you could also play hardball and tell them you are going to report them to the NRMP for match violations, but I would adivse against that for the most part.
</sarcasm>

Good luck

Regarding the original question, there is a lot to be said for "being yourself" but be on your best behavior as well. If you consider what the interviewer is seeing when you are talking to them, imagine "would I hire myself?" Do you want to work with someone is moping around, talking on the phone, slinking away to check email, or continually harping about call schedules?

Despite all the wonderful things on your CV, your interviewer may not even look at it, but don't be annoyed if that happens. Everyone has their own style of interviewing. I've been in interviews where there were bascially no questions asked of me and I was expected to speak extemporaneously about myself for 30 minutes and in others where I was grilled about my research projects that my interviewer thought was worthless. Keep your cool and try to enjoy it. If you are confident in who you are, it should show through.