Tutorial Sticky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tutorial sticky

• Yes, its a good idea

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No, I don't like this idea

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No comments ( neutral)

• what a stupid poll :)

• Total voters

Henna

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How about placing a tutorial sticky where everyone who wants to share info /knowlegde can post ( without any others feedback or comments) and it'll stay as a sticky.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Henna

pls see my post on occlusion....your comments are very important for me

Great idea Henna.
Atleast then SDNers won't have to do an elaborate search though all threads for any kind of info on some topics/subjects.It sure would be real interactive if we can also add a "query" sticky in which people can post their doubts about some topic/subject and all those who have some info on that can give them the required help without actually getting in way of the tutorial thread...
something like what gpg has done.
just my two cents:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Henna,
Whats this about ?and why can't I vote in this poll?
Thanks

Sorry....I couldn't vote because I hadn't logged in..:D

Did you do it right, pinktooth ??
There's nothing wrong with the poll, so try again and let me know.

good idea,lets have it sticky.

I know currently this topic doesn't relates to me, but I voted no.
:( I'm not sure why, but I don't like the idea too much.

The reasons beign that even if I try, is very hard for me to keep up with the previous and current tutorials threads so far. I'm not sure why, but they seem like a foreign language to me, I understand nothing of what's being said, etc.

And also another reason I don't like the idea too much, is 'cause after the tutorial thread gets a few pages long, people will loose track of what's already posted and start asking the same all over again.

Although I'm not sure what's the format for the sticky one.
Maybe if you guys try to keep it neat, clean and organized will be better to the viewers eyes and avoid confusion and repetiton.

I'm sorry for voting agaisnt it, but I'm the type of person that needs to see things neatly arranged or otherwise I kind of get blinded by the mess or disorder. And some other threads just seem to me like a big pile of words, with no spelling or grammatical respect for the reader.

Also, I know that I'm not the current user of those threads, 'cause I'm already done with part 1 and haven't even thought about part 2 yet, so I'm beign selfish here. But I'll be happy to see you guys getting help and helping other's this way.

I just wanted to explain why I voted agaisnt it. I wonder why the other person voted agaisnt it. ?

For some reason this thread didn't move up when I posted. So bump.

I agree with Meggs and even I can't remember thing well if they are not organised,but I voted that it is a good idea because after a substantial number of people have posted some good questions and explainations ,Henna could delete the non-important posts.
I know it would increase the work as a moderator ,but I personally like discussing problems a lot.It distracts my mind from the horrible possibility of going through the application process again:(
take care

Gosh this server is killing me+pissed+
Its taking ages to download pages+pissed+ +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a good idea to have the tutorial thread as a sticky, but if several people start several topics and then try to update on their topic later, then the continuity is lost.

I was the other person who voted no. For the following reasons.

1. My current experience with stickies is not very good. I find it very cluttered, too many wellwishers and appreciative posts create a very disjointed and confused appearance to the sticky.

2. There is no way to prevent irrelevant posts from being posted on a sticky

3. Monitoring the sticky on a daily basis is going to be a tough job and I dont know if its fair to ask henna to do so much.

However I have the following suggestions.

We can make good use of stickies if,

1.Put a clear warning on a sticky title to dissuade casual posters from posting on the thread.

2. Maintaining a continous vigil on the thread and removing all unecessary and irrelevant posts. Here a certain amount moderator discretion is called for, some well meaning posters may put up information that they think is useful but maybe considered totally irrevelant by most others.

3. Changing the organisation of the sticky, you can keep one sticky for forum faq's and etiquette, but apart from this we should have three or four clearly divided threads. One way of doing this could be,

One thread for NDB part1 preparations, reading materials, study guides, tutorials etc.
Another thread for NDB part 2, on the same lines as part1
Third sticky for interviewing skills, didactic tests, bench tests etc
Fourth thread for General application process, school descriptions( DDSFIGHTS list),visa issues, etc.

Organising the current available mountain of information into well defined boxes will help us assimilate it easier.

K. that was my tuppence worth, I know its asking a lot of the moderator, but theres no harm in asking ;)

Cheers
Mrinalini

i voted "neutral" / "no comments" coz i have no clue what a tutorial sticky is going to comprise of and what topics it will cover etc. arent there stickies about several topics already? whats this poll about anyway?

Originally posted by mrinalini

However I have the following suggestions.

We can make good use of stickies if,

1.Put a clear warning on a sticky title to dissuade casual posters from posting on the thread.

2. Maintaining a continous vigil on the thread and removing all unecessary and irrelevant posts. Here a certain amount moderator discretion is called for, some well meaning posters may put up information that they think is useful but maybe considered totally irrevelant by most others.

3. Changing the organisation of the sticky, you can keep one sticky for forum faq's and etiquette, but apart from this we should have three or four clearly divided threads. One way of doing this could be,

One thread for NDB part1 preparations, reading materials, study guides, tutorials etc.
Fourth thread for General application process, school descriptions( DDSFIGHTS list),visa issues, etc.

Organising the current available mountain of information into well defined boxes will help us assimilate it easier.

QUOTE]
tht sounds quite good, my vote is going to be its a good idea,
organised or disorganised it definitely is going to be great help.

Originally posted by mrinalini

It's proven that that doesn't work. The only way to avoid the casual "great post John Doe" poster will be to close the thread, and that's not the point of it in the first place.

That will be wayyy too many stickies and will clutter the forum home page view.

That sounds like a great idea, as long as we find a practical and functional way to do it.

The basic issue here is that we're dealing with dozens and dozens of people. And not all of us think the same, of course. So we'll always have questions about part 1 on the visa thead, just like posts about dental decks in the BU interview thead, or like in the Persian thread posts about Indians. That's how the world is.

And like I posted in some thread some time ago, I think we have to find a new name for the FAQ thread, 'cause people just aren't reading it. I think we've got to name it "Do NOT open this thread in front of kids, it's for adult viewing only"; maybe then people will read it.

I think we need to keep on brainstorming here if we want to get something done right.

My take on this-
Frankly, I don't see why it should be so complicated. People who want the info will get it as long as we post it in one form or the other.
I agree that it will get a lil cluttered with trivial chats but I can always go back and delete it.
For people who want to post the info and think they will want to add something else in the future can just post again and save that post so they can edit it later on, in the meanwhile post something like "saved" a couple or so times ( as they deem necessary so as to not loose the continuity).

Just my 2 cents .

Discussions help, so keep it going.

I don't get the "saved" deal. :confused:

In case you want to post lotsa materials but got only to 1/3 of it in the first post, and would like to post more later , say may be after 2 weeks and still want to mantain the continuity you can still do that if you save the next post...like I did..so they can go back click on the edit button and continue with what they wanted to post when they are ready with the material.

Did I confuse you more ?

I got it now. It's what I've been doing with the FAQ thread.

It's like "reserving" a spot.