tutoring at hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lardy Boy

Adulting
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tutor patients in various subjects at a childrens hospital. Is this considered clinical? they come to me in a classroom setting and it is 1 on 1. These children are recovering from ortho surgery or waiting for their next one.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These people are patients and you are in a hospital environment and you have been briefed on hospital rules and restrictions. I think that I'd call it clinical unless you are being paid as a tutor/teacher by a school district in which case it is a bit of a gray zone for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to put clinical then I think it is fine. Putting clinical isn't wrong or a lie, but considering teaching/tutoring is a category option that is what I would put. You were tutoring so I would label it tutoring.

If you want to put clinical then I think it is fine. Putting clinical isn't wrong or a lie, but considering teaching/tutoring is a category option that is what I would put. You were tutoring so I would label it tutoring.

That is a good point. The explanation would include the fact that it took place in a hospital. However, if the OP has no other clinical experience, tagging this as tutoring/teaching could hurt the OP if an application reader makes a quick review of the experience section and misses the fact that the tutoring was in the hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
Haven’t done much clinical volunteering for a while after being employed as a MA. So I wanted to see if I could consider this activity as clinical. Been almost 2 years since my last clinical volunteering (200 hrs).

Haven’t done much clinical volunteering for a while after being employed as a MA. So I wanted to see if I could consider this activity as clinical. Been almost 2 years since my last clinical volunteering (200 hrs).
if you've been employed as a medical assistant, you don't need to pile on more volunteering. Call it tutoring, explain in the text that you were a volunteer. Win-win because some schools will look for non-clinical volunteering and/or tutoring/teaching.

Reactions: 1 user
if you've been employed as a medical assistant, you don't need to pile on more volunteering. Call it tutoring, explain in the text that you were a volunteer. Win-win because some schools will look for non-clinical volunteering and/or tutoring/teaching.

Even if I left the MA position (because moved to different state) a year ago?

What's the rule?

If the patient is close enough to throw their dinner on you, then it's a clinical experience?

I tutor patients in various subjects at a childrens hospital. Is this considered clinical? they come to me in a classroom setting and it is 1 on 1. These children are recovering from ortho surgery or waiting for their next one.

Are you a foreign grad? How did you end up becoming a tutor? I am looking for tutorship roles as well ...