Tutoring/ Being a learning assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorman45342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next semester I want to sign up to be a learning assistant (basically attends lectures of a class you've already taken, gen chem in my case, and then holds a study session where you teach the kids the material.) I was wondering if this would be a good extra curricular for my dental school application?

Members don't see this ad.

Next semester I want to sign up to be a learning assistant (basically attends lectures of a class you've already taken, gen chem in my case, and then holds a study session where you teach the kids the material.) I was wondering if this would be a good extra curricular for my dental school application?

Do you get paid? I'm doing the similar thing in physics but at my school its called supplemental instructor. I think it's good bc it shows leadership.

Do you get paid? I'm doing the similar thing in physics but at my school its called supplemental instructor. I think it's good bc it shows leadership.
Yea, at my school you get paid a little above minimum. I am not really concerned about money, I just want the extracurriculars on my resume and I think it would be something I would enjoy doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a peer tutor for 3 years for several bio and chem classes. I think it was a good EC for my application, but also it helped me learn how to be a teacher. As a dentist, you are going to spend a fair amount of time educating patients on different aspects of oral health, procedures, etc. This helped me learn how to explain concepts in a simple manner.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been a peer tutor for 3 years for several bio and chem classes. I think it was a good EC for my application, but also it helped me learn how to be a teacher. As a dentist, you are going to spend a fair amount of time educating patients on different aspects of oral health, procedures, etc. This helped me learn how to explain concepts in a simple manner.
And how to be patient with people