Tutoring while in Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeongirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has ever done this? I was thinking of tuturing once or twice a week during med school just so I can make some extra cash on the side. I was wondering if you guys thought it would be possible with our workload? My husband and I will be going to separate med schools in different states so this would be a good way to afford plane tickets often. Any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has ever done this? I was thinking of tuturing once or twice a week during med school just so I can make some extra cash on the side. I was wondering if you guys thought it would be possible with our workload? My husband and I will be going to separate med schools in different states so this would be a good way to afford plane tickets often. Any insight would be appreciated!
@Surgeongirl ... if your tutoring commitments do not adversely affect your medical school commitments, you should be okay.

For about three months, I provided tutoring in chemistry and physics to undergraduate students at the university, about 2-3 hours per week. Although it wasn't a lucrative gig, it provided me with some extra "pocket money" unless the student was a "no-show" (for which I was not compensated). Eventually, I became way too busy and discontinued the undergraduate tutoring.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely possible if you manage your time well. Plenty of people find time to do research, volunteer in the community, and/or spend time with family/friends during pre-clinical years. You can devote this time to tutoring as long as you protect study time. Just remember that there is an infinite amount of knowledge to be gained during medical school and the best investment you can make is in your education.

I thought about doing a side-gig to cover travel expenses as well but decided against it. Instead, I focused on not wasting money and saving where I could. There were people in my class who did random things like working as a Kaplan rep or MCAT tutor to make a little money and then walked into school every morning with the same Starbucks online order, bought ridiculously expensive furniture for their apartment, blew $50 on a bar tab over the weekend, etc.

I taught online MCAT courses; the pay was decent, but prepping for the classes as well as arranging my evening to always be in an isolated room with a writing tablet for a few hours was annoying.

Reactions: 1 user
Tutoring is definitely doable! Some schools like mine have peer tutoring and it's actually super great for solidifying the material for yourself.

Thank you guys for your input! I'm really considering it as it would definitely give me extra cash so I can visit my S.O often and vice versa.

Reasonable, but I'd wait until a couple months into the school year start so you know what you're dealing with in your classes before jumping into tutoring. Also, some medical schools will pay their second year students to tutor the first years, so that's worth looking into as well.

Yeah definitely good idea and I will check it out if they do! Thanks!

Agree that it's certainly possible but I wouldn't do it right off the bat. I taught a couple of in-person MCAT courses toward the end of second year because I was bored. Definitely had the time to do it and generally thought it was an enjoyable experience (I did a ton of teaching in undergrad and missed this part of my college experience). But your primary focus should be doing well in your courses, and if on-the-side stuff starts to interfere with your academic performance, I would stop the former.

I found tutoring to be a helpful way to solidify my understanding of the topics and I enjoy seeing others make those previously elusive mental connections. Tutoring is a great way to help your peers/colleagues and earn a little money.

A couple of points, as others have indicated do not let it interfere with your studies and performance on your exams. Your primary objective is learning the material, and doing well in school. The money on the side is nice, but should not take precedent over your first priority. Second, make sure it is okay with your school. As others have mentioned, the school sometimes even has a peer tutoring program. Barring that, my only concern is some schools explicitly prohibit, in the student handbook, any type of employment during medical school. While you could certainly run your tutoring empire under the radar and be fine, it opens you up for issues and disciplinary/institutional actions should anyone decide they don't like you. A simple "that's fine" from your Dean take the risk away.

Enjoy!

I found tutoring to be a helpful way to solidify my understanding of the topics and I enjoy seeing others make those previously elusive mental connections. Tutoring is a great way to help your peers/colleagues and earn a little money.

A couple of points, as others have indicated do not let it interfere with your studies and performance on your exams. Your primary objective is learning the material, and doing well in school. The money on the side is nice, but should not take precedent over your first priority. Second, make sure it is okay with your school. As others have mentioned, the school sometimes even has a peer tutoring program. Barring that, my only concern is some schools explicitly prohibit, in the student handbook, any type of employment during medical school. While you could certainly run your tutoring empire under the radar and be fine, it opens you up for issues and disciplinary/institutional actions should anyone decide they don't like you. A simple "that's fine" from your Dean take the risk away.

Enjoy!

Good point, I will make sure of that thank you :)

Just to add to this, I have known several medical students, including a dentist, a PA, a few nurses and others who somehow found time to actually work occasionally during medical school
I wouldn't count working full time and attending nursing school as 'extraordinary'. I worked 40 hrs/wk when I was in nursing school and I am not a smart individual. A couple of friends even did NP while working 36 hrs/wk. Everything in nursing school is watered down or dumbed-down so the average Joe can digest it.

Last edited:
My school paid upperclassmen to tutor students in lower classes. At least that way you were getting paid to review actual med school material

I know lots of people who have done all sorts of tutoring during the preclinical and MS4 years. MS3 not so much.

Thank you guys! Definitely feel better about this lol

I've tutored both med students and high schoolers during med school. Was pretty doable. And I'm not a super gunner or anything. Just don't overcommit and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just to add to this, I have known several medical students, including a dentist, a PA, a few nurses and others who somehow found time to actually work occasionally during medical school

I am a surgical resident and I have a second job. I won't go into specifics because it would be ridiculously easy to figure out who I am, but it never interferes with my clinical duties as a resident and pays about the same as moonlighting. I don't work the same hours that I did as an intern/junior resident, but it is rare to be under 80 hours/week. If I can find the time doing what I'm doing, other highly organized and motivated people can do it too.

I am a surgical resident and I have a second job. I won't go into specifics because it would be ridiculously easy to figure out who I am, but it never interferes with my clinical duties as a resident and pays about the same as moonlighting. I don't work the same hours that I did as an intern/junior resident, but it is rare to be under 80 hours/week. If I can find the time doing what I'm doing, other highly organized and motivated people can do it too.
You sir or ma'am are a badass.