Tutoring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

econ2med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to tutor chemistry to community college students by posting ads on bulletin boards and craigslist. I prefer to be an independent/entrepreneur when it comes to building my client base as opposed to tutoring through the community college.

My questions is this: how do I eventually prove to adcoms that I was a tutor. In other words, how do I show tangible evidence that I was a tutor? I feel like if the adcoms didn't ask for some sort of tangible proof, anyone could say that they tutored students on their applications. Suggestions?

My goal is to eventually tutor disadvantaged highschool kids in a low income community.

Members don't see this ad.

Possibly get the CC chemistry dept. to have you on their list of tutors...?

You don't have to prove anything. You're expected to provide a contact for each activity on your app, that's all.

If you're successful with this endeavor, then it's a bigger deal than tutoring for an agency or school.

Note that it's very difficult and frustrating to make any money as a tutor - you'll have no shows and folks who don't pay what they owe you. Clients who are serious are going to want you to provide references.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
A very big chunk of my income came from tutoring during prereqs. I explained it under Activities and gave one of my students' parents as the contact/reference. No biggie.