TV's in ireland!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzylique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much Tv's are in ireland... and if they are even worth it??

Also i was wondering if anyone is taking their bike to ireland??

Members don't see this ad.

I just struck on something. It is no wonder why people leave Ireland med school's bad mouthing them. Some people just refuse to adapt to new surroundings. Yes they have dentyne ice. They have everything you will ever need they just don't have everything you will always want. P.S. You should pick up smoking to combat that gum chewing fix you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry wrong thread. No t.v. sucks in Ireland but it is worth it for one show and one show alone. Home and Away, God I love Australian soap operas. They also have re-runs of Dallas on during the day on RTE 1. Who shot J.r. that's all I want to know?

All soaps suck. Aussie/UK/Irish soaps are even worse than US soaps! Anyway, you can get tv's for cheap enough. Just go to Argos or Dixon's or something. I also got a multi-region DVD player for something like 70 bucks. Or you could get a PS2 to play dvd's and have some games too now that they're coming down in price :).

As I said in another thread...I would not bring your bike over until you know more of your living situation, and unless you have very good locks (2 would be good, and essential to lock back wheel + frame to something secure that can't get ripped out of walls etc.) Bikes get stolen very easily here, so unless you're living some place you can keep your bike indoors or at the very least in a parking garage (from which they still get stolen), I would not bring any valuable bike (ie. road bike) at first until you assess your living space.

leorl said:
All soaps suck. Aussie/UK/Irish soaps are even worse than US soaps! Anyway, you can get tv's for cheap enough. Just go to Argos or Dixon's or something. I also got a multi-region DVD player for something like 70 bucks. Or you could get a PS2 to play dvd's and have some games too now that they're coming down in price :).

Thanks For the reply Leorl,

Yeah i basically plan to buy a cheap tv so i can bring my Xbox over... play movies and games!
I don't plan on watching soaps! But you never know! :D

benzylique said:
Thanks For the reply Leorl,

Yeah i basically plan to buy a cheap tv so i can bring my Xbox over... play movies and games!
I don't plan on watching soaps! But you never know! :D

Just be aware that you need to have a TV licence if you have a TV in your home even if you don't watch TV and just use it for DVD's etc.

You actually pay the TV license? hehe :). If you'r in college dorms, you should be covered. I paid the license only once when I got caught. The other years I've sneaked by. Risky, but...who the hell wants to pay for owning a tv :). caveat about xbox - besides needing adaptors, it might not work over here. I know the playstation 2 is region-specific. Irish tv's have funny plugs and stuff...I don't know how the xbox plugs into the tv, but playstations/dvd/etc. here plug into the scart socket of an Irish tv, or at least requires an adaptor for the scart socket. Might be worth looking into. Also, I know for PS2's, games/dvds/etc. are also region-specific. American PS2's can't play UK region DVDs or games, unless you get a specific software thing for the PS2 (that I've only heard of, never seen) and I don't know if that also applies to Xboxes.

i'm definitely with leorl on this one....do NOT pay for a tv license unless they catch you, it is the MOST ridiculous thing in the world. they likely won't catch you anyway.....we only got caught this past year....i guess we're screwed nwo until such time that we moved to a new place.

Wow that's strange... I never thought i'd have to pay for owning a tv! I'm living in Trinity hall so should i pay it .... or just try to sneak it in???
Yeah i don't plan to buy any dvds or games there.... just bring them from home..
The way i connect my xbox is through those yellow,white, and red wires.... they seriously don't go into the tvs in ireland??

I think i'll just by a TV tuner for my laptop here in canada... which have av inputs... i hope... i'll check it out.. and hook my xbox to that!

Thanks for the advice though... nice to know you have to pay a fee for owning a TV.....

benzylique said:
I think i'll just by a TV tuner for my laptop here in canada... which have av inputs... i hope... i'll check it out.. and hook my xbox to that!

Thanks for the advice though... nice to know you have to pay a fee for owning a TV.....

The reason is anyone with a tv gets 4 "free" channels RTE 1 & 2 TV3 and TG4, although all these channels have advertising as well and I don't think TV3 gets any licence payers money. You pay a licence fee in the UK as well but the channels that receive licence fee money are commercial free.

medgirl20 said:
The reason is anyone with a tv gets 4 "free" channels RTE 1 & 2 TV3 and TG4, although all these channels have advertising as well and I don't think TV3 gets any licence payers money. You pay a licence fee in the UK as well but the channels that receive licence fee money are commercial free.

RTE has to supplement the licence fee with advertising revenue. BBC doesn't have to as they have a huge population to draw licence fees from compared to Ireland. In 2001 the BBC issued over 23 million licences at a fee about €40 greater per licence than the republic. I don't know what the number of licences is in Ireland but if the same proportion of people have them as the uk its only a million or so. Even that sounds too many - the uptake is low enough here.

When you look at the muck thats on TV3 (all imported from UK and USA) i think hte value of having a public broadcaster speaks for itself!!! TG4 gets about 5% of the license fee and provide a brilliant service - hte have the best documentaries around

benzylique, if you're in trinity halls you won't have to pay the tv license. There must be some deal with the university for that. And you should also get free ntl (cable). Tv license only really applies if you have a real apartment off campus.

benzylique said:

If you want to attach a TV antenna to it (rabbit ears) or a cable for cableTV then just be warned that the cables that connect them are different as are the channel frequencies and encoding system (PAL not NTSC).

galwaybound said:
Sorry wrong thread. No t.v. sucks in Ireland but it is worth it for one show and one show alone. Home and Away, God I love Australian soap operas. They also have re-runs of Dallas on during the day on RTE 1. Who shot J.r. that's all I want to know?
I loved Home and Away too! I think the characters I knew are all gone now though. I could get 200-300 channels or whatever, but I wish I could just add Channel 7 Australia or RTE 1 for Home and Away. Why a show that is so bad is somehow so good is a mystery to me.

You know we belong together
You and I forever and ever
No matter where you are...

lads, lads, lads ... remember that it is 220V. So buying and X-box or even any other piece of electronic equipment is useless unless it can covert between 110-220V like most laptops. Agreed above with the regions for games and DVDs also - don't waste your money.Converters themselves are useless.

If you are going to be here for a few years, just buy some stuff - many of the other NA students did. Also if you are going to stay in a place, just get Sky or ntl and you'll feel like you are at home (ie more variety of the same old NA-type of crap). If you are into sports, just subscribe to NASN (North American Sports Network). BTW, they showed the Stanley Cup Playoffs ... live (yes at 1-2am) - it was worth every minute watching the old CBC's Hockey Night In Canada for those games :D

if you really really need your xbox/ps2/360/whatever you can pick one up 2nd hand from the classifieds or online cuz everyone in ireland has one (highest % console ownership in europe or something like that). carrying something bulky like that is a bit of a drag and, as mentioned before, you may not get a lot of use out of it with the region/format clashes.

As regards the plugs, irish tvs in my experience (a lifetime) have mostly all had the 3 colour plugs or nowadays a scart plug with converter as mentioned before. So not too different.