Two Application Related Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ouroboro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've started the application process for this coming year and ran into two questions I need help on...

1. Does anyone have a really good CV format? I've used the same one for a few years now and its starting to look cluttered and hard to read. I'm using a basic word template one and could use any recommendations!!

2. This is the slightly longer and more pressing question... does anyone have a process for picking PsyD programs? I've only ever considered Clinical PhDs in the past so I typically build my school list by matching research interests with professors but I don't think this is the best way to approach PsyDs? How do you know a PsyD program is a good match for you? Pleasssse advise!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

... does anyone have a process for picking PsyD programs? I've only ever considered Clinical PhDs in the past so I typically build my school list by matching research interests with professors but I don't think this is the best way to approach PsyDs? How do you know a PsyD program is a good match for you? /QUOTE]

For Psyd programs, I'd start by eliminating ones that don't have a great internship match rate, have really huge class sizes, or are prohibitively expensive. This should leave you with a fairly manageable list, probably minus Argosy and some of the other professional schools. Once you've done this, I'd check the Insider's Guide and then the school websites to get a feel for them. Often you can tell something about the clinical and research interests from doing this. Although match is not as important at most Psyd schools, it's still a factor. Check the list of faculty and see what they're working on. Also, if student research, dissertations, awards, etc are listed on the website, this will also give you a better idea of what the students and faculty focus on there. :)

Hi Psychmama,

Thanks!! That's a really good start for me!! I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to PsyD applications. Do you suggest emailing profs like people do for Clinical PhD programs?

Hi All,

... does anyone have a process for picking PsyD programs? I've only ever considered Clinical PhDs in the past so I typically build my school list by matching research interests with professors but I don't think this is the best way to approach PsyDs? How do you know a PsyD program is a good match for you? /QUOTE]

For Psyd programs, I'd start by eliminating ones that don't have a great internship match rate, have really huge class sizes, or are prohibitively expensive. This should leave you with a fairly manageable list, probably minus Argosy and some of the other professional schools. Once you've done this, I'd check the Insider's Guide and then the school websites to get a feel for them. Often you can tell something about the clinical and research interests from doing this. Although match is not as important at most Psyd schools, it's still a factor. Check the list of faculty and see what they're working on. Also, if student research, dissertations, awards, etc are listed on the website, this will also give you a better idea of what the students and faculty focus on there. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about emailing profs. I didn't and I don't think it's essential since you're usually not being admitted into a lab, but rather the program in general.

That said, if you find a couple of Psyd programs with profs doing work you absolutely love and think is right up your alley, then why not? The worst they can do is not respond or refer you back to the program head or admissions person. I think there are a few others on these boards who are in Psyd programs. They might have other suggestions.

Anyone with CV format recommendations??