Two-body problem and highest utility away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImpotentGray

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply for radiation oncology next year and am starting to look at away rotations (3) to do from July-September. I am also going to be married to a 2nd year(one year behind me, will be a MS3 during my application cycle) soon. I am trying to decide how best to address the two-body problem we have put ourselves in and am thinking that doing aways in cities with many radiation programs(NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, LA) and and other residencies in general is the way to go to ensure the highest chance that my fiance will be able to follow me. (She is currently thinking IM->Cards, but just started clinics, so we'll see where she ends up).

I am a resident of texas and going to school here and was planning to do a rotation or 2 in TX and one out of state.

There are programs that I am very interested in doing aways at that are the only radiation program in a large radius lack other hospitals that could serve as backup options for my fiance for here application cycle when she attempts to follow me.

Thoughts/advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and before anyone suggests, I'm already on a research year.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
if she is really set on doing IM and is a good candidate then it shouldn't be too hard for her to match in the same city as you if you are in a major city.

Should be possible, you only apply for prelim/transitional years in your current city (Stay together for your PGY1 and her MS4 year), and then she applies for categorical positions in medicine or whatever she can wherever you end up matching.

If you want to guarantee being together that's the only way to do it. It puts her application on equal footing with yours, instead of having to follow you, and allows her to seriously consider multiple cities instead of having your career dictate hers to some degree.

Otherwise, you're either tacitly/explicitly asking her to only apply to programs in and around your city (assuming you match, and assuming you match in an area with a bunch of other programs), or you're accepting the fact that she might get offered and take a better career option outside of the city you wind up in.

Couples match could also result in both ending up in mediocre programs if both don't end up ranking highly.. I think if doing Rad Onc/Medicine couples match should not be a problem though.. site will probably be dictated by Rad Onc match irregardless of couples match or not? This is getting too complicated! ;)

Your home state has a decent amount of Programs. I'd focus on that and try to match in one of them and see if she can stay as well. It's going to be hard to guarantee she matches where you end up. Even in Internal Medicine getting your top match isn't a guarantee.

Thanks for the replies. I am heavily leaning towards applying this year and trying my best to stay in tx (likely 2 aways here).

@Bearstronaut I agree, that's been my biggest reservation with all of this. We have discussed it extensively though, and she has voiced repeatedly that she is willing to make the sacrifice of following me to a potentially mediocre medicine (or other) program. We'll see how she feels when I hopefully match next year.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk