Two C's in G chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YaYa57

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I am worried about the two C's I got in General Chemistry. If anyone can help give me some insight as to how this will affect me while I am applying. I know my chances are probably compromised. Good advice is appreciated =)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Long ago, I got a D in my first semester of General Chemistry, retook it and got a B. The second semester I got a C... essentially this could be interpreted as a C both semesters. I have since completed Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry with much better grades, and revised enough General Chemistry material that I became proficient enough to tutor the subject for a few semesters; I will be attending dental school next fall.

Point being, the C's may not look the greatest, but if an Admissions Committee can see improvement in some form (possibly by rocking your upper-level chem courses, and/or killing the DAT chem sections) they would probably be willing to overlook those grades. :)

Hello everyone, so I am worried about the two C's I got in General Chemistry. If anyone can help give me some insight as to how this will affect me while I am applying. I know my chances are probably compromised. Good advice is appreciated =)

basically everything about your classes can be summed up in your gpa(s). if your gpa is good, you are good, unless you do something weird like C every pre-req and get a's in everything else or something equivalently concerning.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just make sure you don't mess up all the other prereqs (by that i mean aim for A- to A). Cause low prereqs can give you low BCP and that is important. Also, be prepare to be asked about these C if you get interviews. If possible, retake them (only if you know you can do better). Take other hard science courses if you have time (biochem, micro (i screwed this class up C+, genetics, upper level anatomy, etcc.). Hope this help.

Dont sweat it, just pick up your game. I had a C in my second semester of Chem. I retook it and got a B.. Gen Chem just wasnt my thing (combined with me being ignorant and not studying enough), they asked about it in my interview and I told them what I just told you. It hurt my sGPA, but the only thing you can do now is to get A's in everything else. Work hard and you will. Good luck.

Thank you all for your advice!! I feel much better :) Good luck for all of you in the future :):)

why is it you got C's knowing the importance of that class?

Ace the DAT in the chem section to negate the C's... that what I did for my C's in orgo and adcoms never said a word about my low grades.