Two Degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orgochem91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

First post, and I hope to hear some interesting input from anyone willing to provide advice!

A little about me -- Completed a BSc in Chemistry and a PharmD degree at UofT. I have, through my clinical work as a pharmacist, realized that I truly wish to become a family doctor for a large number of reasons.

My GPA from my undergraduate degree is 3.78 and my pharmD is 3.5. I have two publications and a 40 MCAT.

My question is this -- when applying to medicine, will my GPA from my PharmD hinder my application profile?
I know certain schools will only look at my undergraduate degree, but I am interested to hear from you seasoned colleagues how you think the two will impact my profile.

Any advice, information, or tips would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say you're fine. Your undergrad is great and the pharmD isn't bad. Your biggest challenge will probably be the same as the rest of us, basically answering why medicine, why now, and in your case maybe why isn't pharm enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I think your grades and success will look great. Your MCAT is a cut Above the average. So I doubt your you have anything to worry about on that end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your grad GPA is fine. Normally places won't consider a grad GPA unless it's bad enough to raise questions about ones ability to succeed in med school. It's only the guy whos grad GPA is below a 3.0 that has a hurdle.

Agree with the above. Your academic record is better than most of your peers. The bigger issue is going to be explaining why you want to make the career change.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope! You're a rock star. Aim high.

My question is this -- when applying to medicine, will my GPA from my PharmD hinder my application profile?
I know certain schools will only look at my undergraduate degree, but I am interested to hear from you seasoned colleagues how you think the two will impact my profile.