two different questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i wanted to know if anybody could point me in the direction of where to find the answer to these two questions

1. where would i be able to find a reputable source that provides the average surgery of each medical specialty such as general surgery vs. ortho surgery vs. cardiology vs oncology and so on. I have searched it on google but the average salary varies widely on depending on the website so i wanted to know if perhaps there was a government sponsored or other reputable source that could provide this info

2. where can i find the statistics and match data for sub-specialties. I have found the ones for general surg, IM, Peds, etc. but where could i find statistics for matching into cardiology, oncology, GI from IM or ortho, cardiothoracic surgery from gen surg. Is there any website that provides such data?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

1. all that data will be all over the place as most of the time those salaries are self reported and there isn't really a public database on them as most surgeons aren't government employees and therefore their salary wouldn't be public

2. Most schools post their match results on their websites and the list will include matches into all the specialties, however for some specialties such as GI you have to complete a fellowship to specialize and would first go into an IM residency so that's something else to consider however the information may be on the websites of those specialties

Reactions: 1 users
where would i be able to find a reputable source that provides the average surgery of each medical specialty such as general surgery vs. ortho surgery vs. cardiology vs oncology and so on. I have searched it on google but the average salary varies widely on depending on the website so i wanted to know if perhaps there was a government sponsored or other reputable source that could provide this info

MGMA has the best data, but you will need to pay for it.

where can i find the statistics and match data for sub-specialties. I have found the ones for general surg, IM, Peds, etc. but where could i find statistics for matching into cardiology, oncology, GI from IM or ortho, cardiothoracic surgery from gen surg. Is there any website that provides such data?

Charting outcomes. See my sig. Ortho is not matched as a fellowship from GS. For the fellowships google the fellowship charting outcomes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i wanted to know if anybody could point me in the direction of where to find the answer to these two questions

1. where would i be able to find a reputable source that provides the average surgery of each medical specialty such as general surgery vs. ortho surgery vs. cardiology vs oncology and so on. I have searched it on google but the average salary varies widely on depending on the website so i wanted to know if perhaps there was a government sponsored or other reputable source that could provide this info

2. where can i find the statistics and match data for sub-specialties. I have found the ones for general surg, IM, Peds, etc. but where could i find statistics for matching into cardiology, oncology, GI from IM or ortho, cardiothoracic surgery from gen surg. Is there any website that provides such data?

Thanks in advance

1. Medscape Physician Compensation Report (2018):

upload_2019-1-2_8-13-6.png

2. NRMP Charting Outcomes (see @AnatomyGrey12's signature for links to MD and DO versions)

Reactions: 1 users