Two FA copies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was thinking--

would it be worth buying two copies of FA 2014? I was thinking I'd use one copy (1) to put in notes from class, kaplan qbank and usmlerx and maybe take out the binding and stick in high yield class notes/diagrams...basically to use throughout 2nd year (2) and use the other copy to only take notes from usmle world...maybe take the binding out of that one, too

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I was thinking--

would it be worth buying two copies of FA 2014? I was thinking I'd use one copy (1) to put in notes from class, kaplan qbank and usmlerx and maybe take out the binding and stick in high yield class notes/diagrams...basically to use throughout 2nd year (2) and use the other copy to only take notes from usmle world...maybe take the binding out of that one, too

Thoughts?

Sounds like a lot of work.

No... at least that's my opinion (and I'm sticking to it).

I suppose if you're an M1 now, you could buy 2014 (or even 2013 in July or whatever when the current M2s are done w/ theirs) and do that w/ it. Then buy 2015 and annotate it w/ UWorld only (or whatever). You'll almost certainly want to buy the 2015 version if you're taking Step 1 in 2015 as there are some plans to significantly change the exam that year (in case you hadn't heard yet).

Members don't see this ad :)

I suppose if you're an M1 now, you could buy 2014 (or even 2013 in July or whatever when the current M2s are done w/ theirs) and do that w/ it. Then buy 2015 and annotate it w/ UWorld only (or whatever). You'll almost certainly want to buy the 2015 version if you're taking Step 1 in 2015 as there are some plans to significantly change the exam that year (in case you hadn't heard yet).

I read the announcement you're referring to and I didn't interpret it to mean "significant" changes.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm at a school with 1.5 year curriculum. So M2 is about to begin in the next couple of days.

Also, yeah, like the other guy said-- there's nothing significant about the change to the Step 1, at least that's not what I got from the announcement.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm at a school with 1.5 year curriculum. So M2 is about to begin in the next couple of days.

Also, yeah, like the other guy said-- there's nothing significant about the change to the Step 1, at least that's not what I got from the announcement.
The idea behind annotation is consolidation of resources into the highest yield single source. Having two books negates that goal

Reactions: 1 user
The idea behind annotation is consolidation of resources into the highest yield single source. Having two books negates that goal

So, just annotate UWorld into FA?

I know the MCAT is significantly changing that year, but I think Step 1 is just placing more emphasis on like quality control or something, no?

Reactions: 1 users
I read the announcement you're referring to and I didn't interpret it to mean "significant" changes.

The trend seems to be toward more behavioral sciences-type questions and clinical application. It's ambiguous, but the Step 2 description may shed a bit more light on the direction Step 1 is headed:
In 2014 and 2015, examinees will see an increased
focus on quality improvement principles; safety
science; epidemiology, biostatistics, and
population health; professionalism; and
interpersonal and communications skills. These
may be tested using item formats currently under
development. If new item types are introduced
into the examination, sample materials will be
available on the USMLE website for examinees
to review well in advance.

Basically, this closely matches the direction of the MCAT and the Step 1 description does not sway much from it, so I think we can derive quite a bit from these descriptions, vague as they may seem.

I don't thick so. I'm pretty sure the Step is going to pot.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/Changes_to_USMLE_2014-2015_handout_FINAL.pdf

'In 2014 and 2015, examinees will see an increased focus on quality improvement principles and safety science. ' Hooray for ambiguity.

I know it's hardly the same, but I can't resist: http://twentytwowords.com/2012/02/23/calvin-and-hobbes-discuss-the-purpose-of-writing/

Oh god. Step 2 had questions like that and they were frustrating. I want to be a MD, not the CEO of the damn hospital, stop asking me about the best method to QA people making mistakes.

The trend seems to be toward more behavioral sciences-type questions and clinical application. It's ambiguous, but the Step 2 description may shed a bit more light on the direction Step 1 is headed:

Basically, this closely matches the direction of the MCAT and the Step 1 description does not sway much from it, so I think we can derive quite a bit from these descriptions, vague as they may seem.

So you think Step 1 will be significantly different in 2014?

So you think Step 1 will be significantly different in 2014?

I think they might make some changes and they could be significant, sure. You ask that like it's some black and white issue where I must either have insider information or be a fool. If they make changes, I would anticipate they will occur in steps. The fact that all levels of medical education exams (from MCAT through Step 3) seem to be making changes in a similar direction (stronger emphasis on research methods, statistics, concepts tangentially related to the philosophy of science in medicine, etc.) makes me think there might be some actual changes they are trying to implement down the line. Those changes seem to fit what I could see being important in the rapidly changing climate of healthcare. Being able to critically analyze systems and treatments would be something that allows physicians to continue to distinguish ourselves from mid-levels as it requires more critical thinking in addition to the memorization already required. We have to remain a step ahead if we want medicine to remain relevant (and not WAAAY under-reimbursed) in a healthcare system looking to make cuts and cut any corners necessary in doing so.