Two LORs from a single rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1129181

Can't go into too much detail about this but I have a rotation lined up for 3rd year corresponding to my desired specialty but, unfortunately, word on the street is that the attending pretty much ignores the med students and doesn't write any letters of rec. My school also doesn't allow me to cancel the rotation once it is scheduled since it makes the school look bad (which I understand).

However, this means I can only get speciality specific LORs from my away rotations in 4th year. I know residency programs usually prefer to have 2 specialty specific LOR's. So, should I try to get two LOR's from the same SUBI rotation in 4th year? I guess I could do two SUBI's, but that would compromise my step 2 CK performance (which is more important than ever) and/or force me to turn in ERAS late. Thoughts?

Also, on a side note, how bad does it look to not get a letter from the 3rd year rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't go into too much detail about this but I have a rotation lined up for 3rd year corresponding to my desired specialty but, unfortunately, word on the street is that the attending pretty much ignores the med students and doesn't write any letters of rec. My school also doesn't allow me to cancel the rotation once it is scheduled since it makes the school look bad (which I understand).

However, this means I can only get speciality specific LORs from my away rotations in 4th year. I know residency programs usually prefer to have 2 specialty specific LOR's. So, should I try to get two LOR's from the same SUBI rotation in 4th year? I guess I could do two SUBI's, but that would compromise my step 2 CK performance (which is more important than ever) and/or force me to turn in ERAS late. Thoughts?

Also, on a side note, how bad does it look to not get a letter from the 3rd year rotation?
A late step 2 wouldn’t make you turn in ERAS late. A lot of people interview etc with no step 2 as yet. It would depend on the field your applying into. I think getting 2 from an away wouldn’t matter that much and no one would notice. But my home program did say it raised concern when an applicant didn’t get a letter from their home institution. Especially if they school is known for that program and they wonder why they didn’t back the applicant.

All of my letters came from 4th year rotations, multiple from my sub-I alone (one of those letters was from someone I had worked with closely since M1, but did not rotate with during M3). It didn’t hurt me at all. But I agree you should have letters from your own institution - if you’re doing your sub I at your home program you should be fine

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A late step 2 wouldn’t make you turn in ERAS late. A lot of people interview etc with no step 2 as yet. It would depend on the field your applying into. I think getting 2 from an away wouldn’t matter that much and no one would notice. But my home program did say it raised concern when an applicant didn’t get a letter from their home institution. Especially if they school is known for that program and they wonder why they didn’t back the applicant.

All of my letters came from 4th year rotations, multiple from my sub-I alone (one of those letters was from someone I had worked with closely since M1, but did not rotate with during M3). It didn’t hurt me at all. But I agree you should have letters from your own institution - if you’re doing your sub I at your home program you should be fine

Thank you both! I actually go to a DO school and the 3rd year rotation I am referring to is actually from a medical group not under the umbrella of my university's medical center. Aside from the agreement to have medical students rotate with them, there actually isn't any other affiliation my school has with the site!

All my 5 LORs came from 4th year even though even though one was my very first rotation in 3rd year but he was the last one to turn in in July before my app. Focus on your step 1/2 and Level 1/2. Send your CV to whoever you do rotations with and give them deadline if they can give you a LOR.

Why don’t you reach out to people who have matched into said specialty and ask how they navigate this? Seems like they will be your best source of info

Word on the street is usually right, but still try to go in with an open mind. I've been pleasantly surprised before. In terms of letters, don't underestimate a GREAT letter from a generalist vs. a good letter from someone in your field (unless the good letter is from someone really well known).

I would say get a great letter from someone who knows you well in M3. Then in M4, try to get two letters from the same SubI. Then, when you're submitting ERAS, you won't have regrets. Forget about these generalities like you NEED to have an M3 letter or you NEED to have 2 subspecialty letters from your field. QUALITY>Quantity, unless a program website or someone of stature says that you need two ENT (example) letters to match ENT or you need two ENT rotations to match ENT.

Last edited:
@dial1010usa @Redpancreas So do you guys think that getting a great LOR from my home institution IM rotation will offset any concerns? Fortunately, every says that the IM attending I will be having is amazing!! However, IM is not the specialty I want to go into.