TWO pharmacy tech jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got offered pharmacy technician jobs at both CVS and a local hospital :) Obviously I'm taking the hospital pharm tech job. Because my GPA is low (2.8), im re-taking classes, about to start studying for pcats, and bulking up my resume so that my gpa is the only sore spot. Do you think its advantageous to work at both CVS and the hospital as a pharm tech? Initially I was thinking it would be good because its more pharmacy experience and having 2 pharm tech jobs may show more..dedication or commitment. But the hospital pharmacy also has their own retail pharmacy so now I'm unsure whether having both jobs would be a worthwhile or make me more competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got offered pharmacy technician jobs at both CVS and a local hospital :) Obviously I'm taking the hospital pharm tech job. Because my GPA is low (2.8), im re-taking classes, about to start studying for pcats, and bulking up my resume so that my gpa is the only sore spot. Do you think its advantageous to work at both CVS and the hospital as a pharm tech? Initially I was thinking it would be good because its more pharmacy experience and having 2 pharm tech jobs may show more..dedication or commitment. But the hospital pharmacy also has their own retail pharmacy so now I'm unsure whether having both jobs would be a worthwhile or make me more competitive?

IMO, I think that if they expose you to different aspects of the industry, it would be helpful. (Even if they don't, you'll have extra money which would be a nice perk for application fees.)

Of course, don't let this affect your GPA since it's already below the Mendoza line for a few schools.

I worked both and I thought it was definitely worthwhile from an experience standpoint, but you should be careful. You're not in great shape academically, and since you're retaking classes and preparing for the PCAT, those two things should be your #1 priority. Don't overload yourself with a busy work schedule and fail to improve your weak GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a tough one. My thought is that your GPA is so low your only hope is to sell yourself as a candidate with experience, so having worked both would help with that. One the other hand you do not want to overwhelm yourself and make your situation even worse.

Good Luck. :luck:

thanks for the responses guys. I decided to decline the CVS pharm tech offer and keep both my current hospital job and this pharm tech hospital job. Reasons to decline CVS job: lower salary (student loans!!), only planning to work 3 days/week there, takes time away from hospital ptech job, and my main focus in boosting my GPA and studying for pcats. Priority is to raise those numbers. so yeah, out you go cvs.

I am curious as to how much CVS offered you. Any chance you might share that with us?

thanks for the responses guys. I decided to decline the CVS pharm tech offer and keep both my current hospital job and this pharm tech hospital job. Reasons to decline CVS job: lower salary (student loans!!), only planning to work 3 days/week there, takes time away from hospital ptech job, and my main focus in boosting my GPA and studying for pcats. Priority is to raise those numbers. so yeah, out you go cvs.

Why not drop the other hospital job and keep the two pharm tech jobs? Is there no way to go down to one job and focus on school a bit more?

I am curious as to how much CVS offered you. Any chance you might share that with us?

CVS actually never put out a salary offer- they just told me to come back, got the drug test done, and the manager and I planned out when/how I would complete the 2 weeks of training. That was slightly offputting to me only because they never officially said I 'had' the job or offered a salary but were setting everything up. My friends who work in the same CVS say they start off at $8-$9/hr. The hospital offered $11.76/hr

Why not drop the other hospital job and keep the two pharm tech jobs? Is there no way to go down to one job and focus on school a bit more?

I guess I could..it's just that the hospital job is REALLY flexible. I can easily switch times/dates where as the CVS job would be more difficult. And I want all the hours I can get with the hospital pharm tech job. Plus, its more healthcare experience. Maybe part of me doesn't want to let it go because the cvs job is much easier to come by.. but i also have loans on top of bills i need to pay back and unfortunately have to consider payrate.