Two questions about application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rblessin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) I know this is a very broad question and I am sure there is a large variation among schools but what percentage of people who apply receive secondary's?
2) Are letters of recommendations sent in with the primary (AACOMAS) or after receiving a secondary from the school?

thank you all and best wishes

Members don't see this ad.

1) I know this is a very broad question and I am sure there is a large variation among schools but what percentage of people who apply receive secondary's?
2) Are letters of recommendations sent in with the primary (AACOMAS) or after receiving a secondary from the school?

My knowledge is limited as I'm not applying this cycle but I'll give you what I know. Receiving secondary depends on the school. Some schools like WVSOM have strong pre-secondary screening and only send secondaries to applicants who they're interested for interviewing. Then there are schools who send secondaries to almost all the applicants. Most schools fall in between the two and have GPA/MCAT cut offs that they screen for.
As for part two, I believe its with the secondaries.

Cant give you an answer for the first one, but As far as LORs go you typically send them in with your secondaries. Some schools like LECOM dont want them until youre offered an invite. Most people send them via either their universities LOR service (if they have one), virtualevals or interfolio. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Most people receive secondaries unless you have knowingly low stats (it varies, I'd say it's typically sub-3.00 GPA, sub... I dunno... 23 MCAT?). A few schools that screen a little harder ahead of their secondaries: WVSOM, KCUMB, PNWU. WVSOM doesn't give you a secondary unless they send you an II.

2) LORs should go out around the time you send your secondaries, but you can certainly do so sooner. At most schools, you aren't considered complete until they have your LORs.

ok thanks a lot! Congrats on the acceptance by the way coolingglasses

1. Most schools have their cutoff points listed on their website. If its not listed, I am sure you can call and ask them. As long as your GPA and MCAT are at or above their cutoff point, you will most likely receive a secondary. There is also huge variation in when applicants receive secondaries. Most schools send it to you right after they get your primary, while others wait a bit longer.

2. Send LORs with secondaries. You don't even have to wait until you get your secondary invite to send LORs to schools. I submitted my LORs to every school I applied to right after submitting my primary. Once I got the secondary invite, I filled it out and submitted it ASAP and they had both my secondary and LORs without any problems.

Most schools send a secondary to every applicant.

Submit LORs with your secondary.