Two questions about peds ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drivesmecraazee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1- How does one become a peds ortho?

2- What's the bread and butter of pediatric orthopaedics? I guess it's mostly congenital stuff but I'd like to know more about it

Thanks
 
1- How does one become a peds ortho?

2- What's the bread and butter of pediatric orthopaedics? I guess it's mostly congenital stuff but I'd like to know more about it

Thanks

One becomes a peds ortho by becoming a doctor (md or do) then becoming a ortho. Then one becomes a peds ortho fellow. After that one has become a peds ortho.


The bread and butter of pediatric ortho is probably still going to be fractures, but there is certainly a ton of congenital, cerebral palsy, scoliosis, etc to keep one busy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just an extra question.. Do pediatric orthos make more money? I just want to know if it will make up that one year difference.
 
Just an extra question.. Do pediatric orthos make more money? I just want to know if it will make up that one year difference.

Piece of advice, when, and if you get into med school, don't choose a specialty based on money. Orthopaedic surgeons generally make a comfortable living regardless of any subspecialty.
 
I understand that. I do. I kind of felt bad for asking the question in the first place, but I was genuinely curious. I am not going to pursue any specific specialty for the money. They all pay well. I'm going to pursue one that I will like. 🙂 I'm curious though because if you sub-specialize in peds you lose one year of a "big" salary to train (assumption there.) I just wanted the objective figures. If you love kids though, you should do it regardless because you will have a happier job even if you take the small hit of the extra year of training. Just wanted to know if there was a raise that would eventually cover that hit. If not, you have to let your love for the better job to cover it instead (the subjective value.)

Am I making sense? I feel like I'm rambling😛
 
I understand that. I do. I kind of felt bad for asking the question in the first place, but I was genuinely curious. I am not going to pursue any specific specialty for the money. They all pay well. I'm going to pursue one that I will like. 🙂 I'm curious though because if you sub-specialize in peds you lose one year of a "big" salary to train (assumption there.) I just wanted the objective figures. If you love kids though, you should do it regardless because you will have a happier job even if you take the small hit of the extra year of training. Just wanted to know if there was a raise that would eventually cover that hit. If not, you have to let your love for the better job to cover it instead (the subjective value.)

Am I making sense? I feel like I'm rambling😛

From what I have experienced, it seems peds orthos make LESS. Actually, in general if you put "peds" infront of your specialty, you will make less money.