Two questions regarding application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted810749

Hello all,

I am a non-traditional student who is applying next year (June or July 2017).

This is second time attempt after my first attempt when I graduated in university in 2012. I took OAT in 2013 but due to my family circumstances, I had to pause my future goal and work. After working for 3 years, my family stabilized and now I am trying again to get into one of the optometry schools. I am planning to take my OAT on first week of April and maybe one more after completing summer schools. However I have two questions.

1) From OptomCas, it looks like few schools are still open for 2016~2017 cycle. Should I even try to apply after my first OAT? I know it's super late. Not sure if its worth it or even beneficial if I apply for next year. My GPA is 3.0 and science GPA is lower. The reason why I'm taking summer schools is to re-take few science classes that I got C on. If I apply for this year, I will be applying with new OAT score with 2.9 GPA (lots of shadowing/volunteer)

2) Should I include my old OAT score back in 2013? I don't even remember the score but I know I did bad because the day before I took OAT, my father collapsed due to his heart condition (Reason why I had to work for several years). I did not even apply that year. I tried to retrieve my score back but it costs $35 and I'm not sure if its necessary. All I know is that the score is now invalid due to its age, I'm considering not mentioning the score in 2013. What should I do?

Thank you very much for your time! I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't rush trying to apply for this cycle if you haven't taken your oat. The deadlines for most schools have either passed or will be passing soon. You are better off using your time studying and preparing your application for next cycle and saving a few hundred dollars in the process.
As far as your old OAT I think some schools won't accept old oat scores so you wouldn't need to send them. I would say ask the schools and see if they would require it or not just to be sure.