Two questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nwhilk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I originally asked these questions in another thread, but figured it'd be better to ask them in a separate thread. I'm applying to Aussie med schools like Flinders and UQ. And would like to come back to the US after graduation.

1. Is a foreign med school's accreditation with the World Health Organization (WHO) of any importance when applying to residencies in the United States? Do residencies in the US even care whether or not your med school is WHO accredited?

2. Does the med school you graduate from have to be ECFMG certified in order for you to get ECFMG certification as a foreign med school graduate?

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) They would care, but it's not really a standardized universal accrediting body. What it has is just a list of schools which the specific countries have delegated as meeting their accreditation standards for teaching doctors. US States assume that a nation would not accredit substandard schools so often use it as a sign that the school is "trustworthy." However, this may not be the case.

2) A school isn't ECFMG certified, you are. In order for you to get ECFMG certification, you must complete Steps 1, 2CS and 2 CK. You personally have to be accredited before starting a residency program in the US.

Thanks leorl for the reply. :)

I was just wondering though, if a school isn't accredited by the ECFMG, but I am, then why do they have a list of certain schools? Or is this list somethign that's unrelated to ECFMG (maybe its IMED)?

http://imed.ecfmg.org/search.asp

For example, say if I apply and attend a school called the Uni of Wollongong in Australia, it's not on the ECFMG list above (and I can't check whether it's on WHO as WHO's list or database or whatever is being redone, I think is what it said). But say that I complete Steps 1, 2CS and 2 CK on the USMLE. Will I be eligible for ECFMG certifcation?

Basically I just don't want to be left out in the cold. That is, to go to a school that, because it's not on WHO or another accreditation body, I wont' be able to come back to the US and do a residency. Hopefully I'll get into a well-established school and won't even have to worry about it, but I just wanted to make sure before applying too.

Thanks again. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, to be honest, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can elucidate the difference between the WHO list and IMED. Just because a school isn't on the list doensn't necessarily mean they're not good standard - maybe it just hasn't been looked at by the national governing body yet if they're a newish school. But there have been problems before so I'd say the best and safest thing to do would be to stick to the lists.

Thanks leorl for the reply. :)

I was just wondering though, if a school isn't accredited by the ECFMG, but I am, then why do they have a list of certain schools? Or is this list somethign that's unrelated to ECFMG (maybe its IMED)?

http://imed.ecfmg.org/search.asp

For example, say if I apply and attend a school called the Uni of Wollongong in Australia, it's not on the ECFMG list above (and I can't check whether it's on WHO as WHO's list or database or whatever is being redone, I think is what it said). But say that I complete Steps 1, 2CS and 2 CK on the USMLE. Will I be eligible for ECFMG certifcation?

Basically I just don't want to be left out in the cold. That is, to go to a school that, because it's not on WHO or another accreditation body, I wont' be able to come back to the US and do a residency. Hopefully I'll get into a well-established school and won't even have to worry about it, but I just wanted to make sure before applying too.

In the past, ECFMG required that applicants attend a school listed by the World Health Organization. For a reason I cannot recall at this time, ECFMG changed a couple of years ago to using the IMED database which seems to be more involved with local governments in ascertaining that a school is "legit" - it doesn't measure quality or participate in any accreditation process. Thus, bear in mind that neither WHO, IMED or ECFMG accredits schools, that would be up to the national governing body of the country in which the school is located.

If you want to attend a school not listed on IMED, you need to contact the school and check with them as to the progress on making that happen. It DOES NOT matter if you take and pass USMLE Steps 1 and 2, you are NOT eligible for ECFMG certification if you do not attend a school on IMED's list.

If the Uni at Wollongong isn't used to taking US students (which I imagine they AREN'T), they need to realize that they need to get on this list to allow you (or ANYONE frankly who trains there) to go to the US for residency training. Aussies are notoriously slow and inefficient at doing things like this. They may be a well established school, but if they haven't seen the need to be listed on IMED, they probably haven't made an effort to do the paperwork.

Check with them and get something in writing from IMED that they will be listed before embarking on your education there.

Thanks Kimberli, that makes sense! :)

And thanks also for the advice, I'll have to contact them if I do apply to them. Youre right, though, even judging by past emails to various unis, Aussies seem to take a couple of days (minimum) to reply to a simple question whereas American unis will reply usually by the next day. I guess life must be a little slower paced there or something.

And just to make sure, does this mean then that being listed with the WHO doesn't really matter at least as far as getting into a US residency is concerned? As i understand, it's all about (a) making sure your med school is on IMED; (b) passing the USMLE steps 1 and 2; and (c) getting ECFMG certification by (a) and (b), and so WHO has nothing to do with it anymore? (But I realize most med schools are probably on both WHO and IMED.)

You are not eligible to sit for the USMLE if your school is not recognized by the IMED/ECFMG. That could be problem #1.

Problem #2 would involve getting into a US residency program. They won't accept you if your degree is from an unaccredited school. I don't know if WHO and IMED accreditation differ, but for sure if your school is not accredited by either body, the PD will not consider you as a viable candidate.

Problem #3 regards state licensure. You need to apply to your state medical board for that, and the state board will need to recognize your medical school. State boards do differ as to which schools they recognize. All accept LCME schools in the US and Canada. Some, such as California, will not recognize some foreign schools (e.g. in the Carribean...I believe SMU has this problem). So, you may be able to get licensed in one state, and not be able to get licensed in another with different rules).

It's complicated, but that's the way it is.:scared:

Nick

Cool thanks guys! :)