Two Questions....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lev zev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first question is, is there anyone here that goes to Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, (MCPHS), if so can you please describe how the curriculum is especially if anyone is in the accelerated one. How intense is it....

My next Question is, I always wondered how this works... if I graduate out of Mass and I live in NY and I want to be a pharmacist in NY is there an extra test you take to get a license in NY or is a license from any college good anywhere in the US, how exactly does it work??

If anyone can help that would be great
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My first question is, is there anyone here that goes to Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, (MCPHS), if so can you please describe how the curriculum is especially if anyone is in the accelerated one. How intense is it....

My next Question is, I always wondered how this works... if I graduate out of Mass and I live in NY and I want to be a pharmacist in NY is there an extra test you take to get a license in NY or is a license from any college good anywhere in the US, how exactly does it work??

If anyone can help that would be great
Thanks

Colleges do not give you a license, they give you a degree.

Go check out New York Board of pharmacy website and you will find the answer.

You would graduate out of mass and take the NY test. You just have to fulfill the required amount of hours of experience needed and that is based on where you live and want to get licensed. In mass you can only do 1000 hours through school and 500 on your own. So that is a total of 1500. Other states require 2000 and it varies. You can do hours in two states and most will combine them.

The ciriculum can be intense sometimes. You just have to stay on top of things. Search the boards and you'll find plenty of info.

NY doesn't require any hours outside of school--they assume that if you went to pharmacy school, you did enough hours via rotations, so you don't need to work on your own outside of class.

For every state, you will need to take the Naplex (which tests your pharmacy knowledge) plus the MPJE (which tests your knowledge of federal pharm law, plus the laws specific to that particular state). NY is cool though, because they also require a 3rd test....a wet lab, where you have to make an IV plus capsules, ointment, suspension, etc. with a proctor watching your nearly every move.