two quickies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phosphorylation

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everybody....two questions if you don't mind.

1. when calculating your science GPA, does psychology count?

2. when medical schools calculate ur science or cumulative, or whatever GPA, do they also include the courses that the university forgave u for. like something called the freshman forgiveness rule here that applies to any 15 quarter hours u got lower then a C in while as a freshman, as long as u repeated them before u hit junior rank, thats when ur new grade comes instead, but they also leave in ur old grade, but with a # sing right next to it meaning it isn't calculated into ur GPA any longer....

thanks in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Psychology is usually not science. it is social science. Unless there was a lot of hard core science in it such as say, behavioral endocrinology, then its probably not science

2) You must enter all classes you've taken, even if your school doesnt count it towards your GPA. Unless you get a freshman PASS like we did first semester at Hopkins, you'll have to put in both grades. I konw, it sucks.

phosphorylation said:
hey everybody....two questions if you don't mind.

1. when calculating your science GPA, does psychology count?

2. when medical schools calculate ur science or cumulative, or whatever GPA, do they also include the courses that the university forgave u for. like something called the freshman forgiveness rule here that applies to any 15 quarter hours u got lower then a C in while as a freshman, as long as u repeated them before u hit junior rank, thats when ur new grade comes instead, but they also leave in ur old grade, but with a # sing right next to it meaning it isn't calculated into ur GPA any longer....

thanks in advance:)
med schools look at your amcas gpa.
amcas gpa takes into account every class you take...whether or not your school forgave you for it.

usually psychology doesnt count...it all depends on if that psychology class was emphasizing chemical mechanisms of the brain etc...

but for the most part...no.

Members don't see this ad :)
jlee9531 said:
med schools look at your amcas gpa.
amcas gpa takes into account every class you take...whether or not your school forgave you for it.

usually psychology doesnt count...it all depends on if that psychology class was emphasizing chemical mechanisms of the brain etc...

but for the most part...no.

thanks for the quick reply guys, but it was a pretty tough course, like the mechanisms of the brain and some of the chemicals involved, even though it was a psych 100..well, i dunno, i was hoping it would count cuz i got an A in it, but how can I double check? or i have to wait till they decide?

phosphorylation said:
thanks for the quick reply guys, but it was a pretty tough course, like the mechanisms of the brain and some of the chemicals involved, even though it was a psych 100..well, i dunno, i was hoping it would count cuz i got an A in it, but how can I double check? or i have to wait till they decide?

oh, by the way, its :
psych 100:Introductory psychology, a prerequisite to advanced courses; the application of the scientific method to behavior; topics include learning, motivation, perception, personality, physiological basis of behavior.
i coped and pasted from course descriptions

phosphorylation said:
oh, by the way, its :
psych 100:Introductory psychology, a prerequisite to advanced courses; the application of the scientific method to behavior; topics include learning, motivation, perception, personality, physiological basis of behavior.
i coped and pasted from course descriptions

No chance. Some upper level courses can count (I had "Physiological Psychology" and "Computational Neuroscience" count towards BCMP, psych statistics probably would as well) but intro psych won't.

Spitting Camel said:
what is the title of the course?

its :
i copied and pasted from course descriptions:)

Phosphorylation - Cool Username :)

ms2209 said:
Phosphorylation - Cool Username :)

hehe...we were just talking about that in biochem today...(that is, my prof was commenting on how "phosphorylation" would make a cool username ;))

Would Sociological Statistics count in Science GPA?

phosphorylation said:
its :
i copied and pasted from course descriptions:)

Doesn't sound too good. Sorry.

On an unrelated note: Be careful of how you use the word quickie... it means something completely different :smuggrin:

1. No, it doesn't usually count.

2. Yes, old grades are factored right along side retakes. So an F then an A for the retake would be ((0.0*course credit hours) + (4.0*course credit hours))/2*course credit hours.
Actually it would be all your classes added together. Course grade points*course credit hours (summed) then divided by the total credit hours. Hope that makes sense.

Hey phos-
I did include one of my psych classes into my science GPA, but it biological psych (aka. intro to neurobio).

If the psych 100 class was all stats then you could include it under math/statistics. But it sounds like you might be out of luck in this case