Two undergrad degrees

Started by tabishis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tabishis

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an undergrad in Telecommunications and Networking Mgmt. with 3.1 cGPA. I am working towards earning undergrad in Biomedical sciences from a local university. I'll be transferring English and other general education courses so I don't have to retake those. I'll be taking all science lower and upper level courses and finish 2nd undergrad. When I apply to DO and MD schools, would they look at my both undergrad cGPAs or the most recent one?

Thanks in advance for your response.
 
Last edited:
They factor in both undergrad GPAs... if you retake courses, AACOMAS replaces grades I believe, while AMCAS counts both (?)

Someone else chime in...is this correct?
 
So let's say if I have a 3.0 in my non-med undergrad and 3.7 in my biomedical sciences undergrad, how would AMCAS calculate my final GPA? Would they just take an average of both? I understand that AAMCOS would replace my lowest grades with my best retake grades.

I completely undertand the AAMCOS part but just not sure how would AMCAS look at both my GPAs? Anyone?
 
So let's say if I have a 3.0 in my non-med undergrad and 3.7 in my biomedical sciences undergrad, how would AMCAS calculate my final GPA? Would they just take an average of both? I understand that AAMCOS would replace my lowest grades with my best retake grades.

I completely undertand the AAMCOS part but just not sure how would AMCAS look at both my GPAs? Anyone?

Yes, AMCAS uses a cumulative average. If your 3.0 was over 4 years and your 3.7 is over 2 years, then you'll end up with about a 3.23. I recommend doing a spreadsheet, using credits/units/hours, to see what's possible for you.

With the exception of retakes, this is how AACOMAS will look at it too.

Best of luck to you.