Two-year plan to med school...will it work??

Started by jubaju
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jubaju

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone-

I have planned out my path to medical school (with much direction and advice from this forum) and I just wanted to know if this sounds like a viable plan. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm graduating in March with a less than stellar GPA (3.08) and not much of an upward trend (I've been pretty 'average' throughout). I've completed genchem and physics and I've applied to SFSU as a 2nd degree student. My proposed schedule is:

Summer07:
1. OChem I and II + Lab

Fall07:
1. Intro Bio I
2. Biochem I

I want to take the MCAT after fall semester and apply to the Georgetown SMP program for 07/08. I just feel that with my mediocre undergrad performance, I'm going to need a lot more than a years worth of classes to prove that I'm med school worthy. I'd be taking more advanced biology/chem classes over spring and possibly summer. Or maybe I should just take another years worth of advanced classes at SFSU and then try to apply to med school? I'm super confused about what I should be doing. Please help!
 
hey - i'm als o considering sfsu for post bac. did you end up following your plan? and why did you choose 2nd bac versus open univ if you only had a few courses to complete?