Two years out of School . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

curiosteph

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all - I'm new to this forum but it seems pretty awesome - full of supportive people!

I taught in an inner-city for the past two years through the Teach for America program. I was wondering if anyone else had done something similar - taking time off - and had some success with their application or were accepted - or if schools cared more about my GPA and DAT scores!

Also, if any dental students took some time off after undergrad and went back to school, how difficult was it to transitition back?

Thanks so much!
 
Hi all - I'm new to this forum but it seems pretty awesome - full of supportive people!

I taught in an inner-city for the past two years through the Teach for America program. I was wondering if anyone else had done something similar - taking time off - and had some success with their application or were accepted - or if schools cared more about my GPA and DAT scores!

Also, if any dental students took some time off after undergrad and went back to school, how difficult was it to transitition back?

Thanks so much!

Teach for America is no easy task. I respect your passion for doing so and that probably will strengthen your EC greatly.

However, to go beyond the initial cut for adcomms to actually start looking at your application and what not, having a good GPA and DAT score is still more important, imo.
 
It may not seem like it, but there are a lot of people going to dental school anywhere from a year or two out of undergrad to those who are pursuing second careers many years displaced from college. TFA will only strengthen your application and I'm sure you had to be a pretty stellar student to get accepted in the first place, so you should have no problem. Readjusting to student-life isnt all that hard either -- just recognize what you're getting into and do it.

Didn't mean for that to sound like a pep talk -- hope there's some substantive info in there somewhere. Good luck!
 
If you got into TfA, you'll have no problem getting into dental school. Good luck!