TWU Vs. UTMB DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mechaman29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Y'all,
So I'm at a bit of a crossroads-

In TwU, I'd be at home (living with parents) with a 40 min commute, so I'd be saving a lot of money. I also think the tuition is cheaper. I've heard that the program is more rigorous than the latter and more on the "professional" side. Also, it seems that it is more research-based (which I'm not sure of), though I am not the biggest fan of research.

In UTMB Galveston, It seems less stressful with a lower workload and more a "college experience". It's more laid-back and has a family feel to it, which I like.

I'm also an avid mixed martial artist, so work-life balance is very important.

If anyone could chime in with some advice, it'd be greatly appreciated. It'd be awesome if any students of either program can give their input.

-Nathan P

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Nathan! I'm not a student of either, and actually will begin my DPT this year as well, but for me I find it to be really important to figure out where I'll do best. So if the work-life balance is the most important thing and you think its' worth the difference in tuition, then I say choose UTMB! I've heard over and over again that a DPT is a DPT and that a more prestigious school doesn't necessarily correlate to a better career afterwards. I'd also consider that a better DPT experience will yield a better PT and so that's important. Fortunately sounds like you can't go wrong. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I go to UTMB right now and I love it! Trust me, the workload is definitely still rigorous but there is plenty of time for life outside of school. Most of the professors here are helpful and competent (will admit there are a couple of bad ones). I feel like I am being prepared well for graduation, the NPTE and beyond. And it's true the best part is the friendly, laid-back feel of it all.

The cost would be a huge consideration for me. TWU is a few thousand cheaper and you'll save lots of $$ being at home. I have heard nothing but good things about the TWU program. Both are great schools that will prepare you to be a great PT. If you don't mind being at home, I would choose TWU just to save money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to UTMB right now and I love it! Trust me, the workload is definitely still rigorous but there is plenty of time for life outside of school. Most of the professors here are helpful and competent (will admit there are a couple of bad ones). I feel like I am being prepared well for graduation, the NPTE and beyond. And it's true the best part is the friendly, laid-back feel of it all.

The cost would be a huge consideration for me. TWU is a few thousand cheaper and you'll save lots of $$ being at home. I have heard nothing but good things about the TWU program. Both are great schools that will prepare you to be a great PT. If you don't mind being at home, I would choose TWU just to save money.
I actually ended up going with TWU! And yes, cost was a big factor. Thank you for your input! It meant a lot coming from a current UTMB student in the program. Even though my personality aligns with a more laid back spot, I hope to still enjoy my overall experience at TWU.

Hey Nathan! I'm not a student of either, and actually will begin my DPT this year as well, but for me I find it to be really important to figure out where I'll do best. So if the work-life balance is the most important thing and you think its' worth the difference in tuition, then I say choose UTMB! I've heard over and over again that a DPT is a DPT and that a more prestigious school doesn't necessarily correlate to a better career afterwards. I'd also consider that a better DPT experience will yield a better PT and so that's important. Fortunately sounds like you can't go wrong. Best of luck!
Hello what class did you take to satisfy the Anatomy requirement as prerequisite. Apparently And P will not suffice f