TX Resident - Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TX2MA2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just have a couple of questions and was wondering if I could get some input on my chances on acceptance next application cycle in 2012. I'm a rising junior who goes to school in Massachusetts (but I'm a Texas resident), studying chemical engineering with a minor in mathematics. Both GPA's around 3.6 (an upward trend from 3.2 freshman year). Taking the MCAT at the end of the summer, and I'm expecting no lower than a 33 (which is the low side of my scores on practice exams).

My main question is about everything else. I have good research experience, full time summer research internship, part time during school, honors thesis work, the whole deal. I do have some volunteer and shadowing lined up for the up coming breaks and the next summer, and am trying to work in some during school, but on average I've been taking 18 credit hours of engineering courses plus lab work, so I don't have much time, even on weekends.

I'm not lacking in exposure to medicine or motivation to pursue this career path (I am a cancer survivor and have helped family members through similar circumstances). But how detrimental will it be not having a significant amount of volunteer and clinical experience?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I just have a couple of questions and was wondering if I could get some input on my chances on acceptance next application cycle in 2012. I'm a rising junior who goes to school in Massachusetts (but I'm a Texas resident), studying chemical engineering with a minor in mathematics. Both GPA's around 3.6 (an upward trend from 3.2 freshman year). Taking the MCAT at the end of the summer, and I'm expecting no lower than a 33 (which is the low side of my scores on practice exams).

My main question is about everything else. I have good research experience, full time summer research internship, part time during school, honors thesis work, the whole deal. I do have some volunteer and shadowing lined up for the up coming breaks and the next summer, and am trying to work in some during school, but on average I've been taking 18 credit hours of engineering courses plus lab work, so I don't have much time, even on weekends.

I'm not lacking in exposure to medicine or motivation to pursue this career path (I am a cancer survivor and have helped family members through similar circumstances). But how detrimental will it be not having a significant amount of volunteer and clinical experience?

Thanks for your input!
If you are too busy to get in the usual and customary ECs, there is no reason you can't wait to apply for another year or two (average applicant is 24). Personal medical experience is not considered a substitute for testing medicine as a career by exposure to milieus where you actively interact with sick people and also passively observe physicians as they interact with their patients.

Shadowing can be done intermitently, but longevity in clinal exposure is valued. It would bw wise to get this started soon if you will apply in ~9.5 months.

Leadership and teaching also make a med school application stronger. It sounds like you're good to go with the research at least. But at the moment, you look more like the ideal PhD candidate.