TX Tech 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm friend

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this thread is for questions and comments specific to Tx Tech 2008 entering applicants....hope this helps organize things better...

Members don't see this ad.

so what day are ya'll picking...i'm thinking feb 15 (amarillo) b/c i have a test the monday after feb 8, and that's also the day i should hear if i get into uh, so i can still cancel my tx tech interview in time...

yea i'm either gonna pick the 8th or the 15th... I need to confirm when my physics test is before i make my decision. but i'm hella excited!!!! congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Partykiki and I picked Feb 15th. We're going on a little trip together, yeah!

I am choosing one for the 22nd. I have multiple tests the week of the 15th. I heard it snow up there. YAY!

When did you guys turn in the application and already been ask for an interview? I'm freaking out right now!

When did you guys turn in the application and already been ask for an interview? I'm freaking out right now!

I turned mine in early January.

Does anyone know how many people Tech interviews? Also, they are accepting about 125 people this year b/c of the new Abilene campus right? I just want to know my odds of getting in!

I'm not clear on something. Do we need to have our immunization records completed by the interview, or is that just something we need if we were to be accepted?

Is anyone else going to Abilene for the interview?

I'm not clear on something. Do we need to have our immunization records completed by the interview, or is that just something we need if we were to be accepted?
I hope we don't have to get all the shots before getting accepted. I have no idea where is my records.

Pharmfriend, Partykikki, ethyl methyl, and anyone else going to Amarillo for 15th...where are you guys from and how are you guys getting there?

Pharmfriend, Partykikki, ethyl methyl, and anyone else going to Amarillo for 15th...where are you guys from and how are you guys getting there?

Partykiki and I are from Houston. I sent you a pm.

i'm from houston...will be flying out thurs night and flying back fri night...haven't booked my ticket yet...it is sooo expensive ~$350 round trip...waiting to hear from uh until i book it cause either way it will be expensive...

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same question about the immunization junk that Knick had.

I'm driving to Abilene from Kingsville for the Feb 22nd interview day. I'm relieved I don't have to drive to Amarillo. Anyone else gonna be there?

At the top of the Deployment Choice PDF it reads, "Please complete along with immunization information prior to arriving for interview".

Also in the schedule there is an allotment of time just for turning this information in.

I'd say I have some searching to do before Feb 22.

Does anyone know about how many people are interviewed by Tech?

Did any of you had a preference of whether or not you want to go to Amarillo or Abilene? If so, why did you pick Amarillo or pick Abilene? Is there much of a difference with the program?

I had the same question about the immunization junk that Knick had.

I'm driving to Abilene from Kingsville for the Feb 22nd interview day. I'm relieved I don't have to drive to Amarillo. Anyone else gonna be there?

I have an interview on the 22nd in Abilene too. From my letter, it said that around 24 people are being interviewed that day. I called the number at the letter that they sent me, and the lady there said to bring and fill out the form as much as I possibly could. I was thinking that I can also ask the advisor there to make sure.

im goin to abilene on 2-15 from plano

amarillo vs lubbock: seems like you wanna stay away from the new school in abilene b/c if u go there ur stuck there for all 4 yrs:eek:

im goin to abilene on 2-15 from plano

amarillo vs lubbock: seems like you wanna stay away from the new school in abilene b/c if u go there ur stuck there for all 4 yrs:eek:

If you go to Amarillo, you have one of three things happen after two years:

-you go to Dallas/Ft. Worth
-you go to Lubbock
-you stay in Amarillo

I am a P1 at Tech I will try to field some of your questions. Anything else let me know.

At the top of the Deployment Choice PDF it reads, "Please complete along with immunization information prior to arriving for interview".

Also in the schedule there is an allotment of time just for turning this information in.

I'd say I have some searching to do before Feb 22.

The thing they gave you is probably a preliminary thing. Immunization records only need to be completed by the start of the school year when accepted. They will recommend you get the first Hep B shot soon after your interview because it is a series of 3 that takes 6 months. I don't remember filling out anything before the interview, but they are changing things up this year.

Does anyone know about how many people are interviewed by Tech?
Something like 250. 12 interviews about 20-25 people in each.

Did any of you had a preference of whether or not you want to go to Amarillo or Abilene? If so, why did you pick Amarillo or pick Abilene? Is there much of a difference with the program?
As far as the differences: Most lectures will originate from Amarillo and be broadcasted to Abilene. Distance learning is very annoying and I hope all the kinks we have had this year get worked out for 2012 class. Abilene has a much smaller class and it seems to me a much better interaction with the faculty that reside there. Abilene is newer and a bit unestablished in that it is hard to coordinate things such as healthfairs and volunteer activities than in Amarillo but they have a good group over there who are getting things done.

Thanks for the information, jas15. Do you know if the Abilene campus is already accredited since it is an extension of the main campus?

See you there pham TTU...

I'm preferring Abilene because it isnt so far removed from the rest of the world. True I could go to Amarillo for 2 yrs and be 8.5 hours from my hometown of Jacksonville in exchange for the opportunity to be 2.5 hrs away in DFW for the second 2 yrs. I guess I would just prefer to stay in one place and be 4.5 - 5 hrs away for the whole 4 yrs.

Im currently 6.5 hrs away from home in Kingsville.

i'm interviewing in amarillo on the 8th!!!

good luck to those of you interviewing on the 8th! let us know how it goes...i heard it's gonna be a very long day, and that they're pretty strict compared to other schools in terms of being professional vs. laid back

When and how did you hearback?
Did you apply early?

Anyone from Arlington going on the 12th for an interview?

hey guys so how did ur first round of interviews go??

For all you early admissions folks that received an interview, your chances are VERY good! Mike Schwettman (sp??) said that they were going to extend offers to ~50% of the people that get an early admissions interview. I was in the early admissions interview last year and they accepted the vast majority of us. Don't know if the other people didn't get accepted or just decided to go elsewhere. Anyways, the good news is your chances are very good but if you don't get accepted right away, they will still look at your file (kind of a rolling admissions...).

Also, the interview format has been changed. Instead of a 30 min interview, they are doing 45 min behavorial interviews (whatever that means). Good luck!

Thanks for the information!

Instead of a 30 min interview, they are doing 45 min behavorial interviews (whatever that means). Good luck!

It kind of sounds like one of those things where correct answers yield bananas and incorrect answers result in electrical shocks. :laugh:

Thanks for the information!

It kind of sounds like one of those things where correct answers yield bananas and incorrect answers result in electrical shocks. :laugh:

:laugh: lol nw thtz scary!

I applied for ED too, but didnt get into first round of interviews. Do you know how many rounds they take to cover all the early decision applicants?

Does anyone know if the new pharmacy building in Abilene will have sufficient parking for us on Friday? I drove down Pine Street shortly before the school opened, and it looked like there might be plenty of parking spaces in their lot.

Hey Guys. I'm a P1 at Amarillo. Just wanted to see if you guys had any questions about the whole Texas Tech Pharmacy school. Most of the questions here have been answered already..but feel free to post if you have any additional questions. and I will try to get back to you. SDN helped me get into pharmacy school and I'm here to help you guys also.

I applied for ED too, but didnt get into first round of interviews. Do you know how many rounds they take to cover all the early decision applicants?

I'm really not too sure. I got the first non-ED interview around early March last year. Not sure if they are doing the same this year.

Hey Guys. I'm a P1 at Amarillo. Just wanted to see if you guys had any questions about the whole Texas Tech Pharmacy school. Most of the questions here have been answered already..but feel free to post if you have any additional questions. and I will try to get back to you. SDN helped me get into pharmacy school and I'm here to help you guys also.

Hey FlipIce...thx for ur help. Its really nice of you to rem SDN and come back even after getting accepted.

Their website said every Friday in February was going to be an early admissions interview. I assume they have already picked all their early admissions people b/c on their website I had the option of choosing any Friday I wanted. But if you don't get a Feb. interview, you could still get one in March. Good luck!

pharmcat said:
Also, the interview format has been changed. Instead of a 30 min interview, they are doing 45 min behavioral interviews (whatever that means). Good luck!

Does this mean all their questions will be different from previous years?

Does this mean all their questions will be different from previous years?

Well the format is different from last year and all the years before. Basically there are set questions that the faculty and the student need to ask. This differs from the previous years in which the faculty and students were able to form their own questions. Like for my interview last year, I had a faculty professor who went nuts and asked me to draw organic structures on the board :eek:. This will not happen this year...but the set questions that we are suppose to ask will be your typical interview questions. Also, there is the increase in interview time from 30min to 45 min. Hope this answered your question.

Hey guys, I'm new to this thread. I am trying to get my app done for Tech for regular admission, but i'm getting worried. I never really calculated my pre-pharm gpa before (don't know why). My cum GPA is 3.38. My pre-req gpa according to the calculation on the application is only 2.97 :( (not counting two courses since I didn't realize Tech requires Economics and Public Speaking). Do they automatically reject your application if your pre-req gpa is less than 3.0? My science GPA is actually 3.25. I had taken other upper division bio classes, but of course that isn't reflected on the application. I'm bummed.

headed to abilene in a couple of hours!!! be stayin at holiday inn if anyone wants to do dinner

Good luck to you guys who are interviewing tomorrow in ABL.

does anyone know what type of questions are being asked in the tech interviews this year...or what behavioral interview means???

does anyone know what type of questions are being asked in the tech interviews this year...or what behavioral interview means???

We, as P1 students, are not able to disclose this kind of information(haha sounds like Dr. A for those P1's right now at Tech). You are evaluated by both faculty and P1 student during the interviews. We got a short glimpse of the evaluation sheet back in Jan. but it would not be right to tell you the exact questions you'll be asked(also I don't remember most of them). Simply prepare for the interview like you would for any other pharmacy school. Most of the interview questions should be the same...I'm not even sure why they call it a "behavoral" interview.

Just got back... I think this interview went worse than my one at UT. I was expecting to get better at it.

As for the behavioral thing, I'll say that they questions are fair and standardized. If you look at the interview feedback, you'll see that some odd and potentially very difficult questions were asked in the past.

Flip Ice: you werent by chance at the abilene site were you?

Knickerbocker: sup dude, ur name doesnt start with an O, does it? Think I sat in front of you. If it is you, dang, u got home fast.

Good luck to all who applied and after all that stress I agree with the both of these guys, It would be an unfair advantage if we gave away any questions that might be asked, especially since we are still in consideration in acceptance ourselves. Hopefully like Mike said holds true about early admin ppl!

Knickerbocker: sup dude, ur name doesnt start with an O, does it? Think I sat in front of you. If it is you, dang, u got home fast.

No, not me. I didn't stop for anything to get back, so I made good time.

Just got back... I think this interview went worse than my one at UT. I was expecting to get better at it.

As for the behavioral thing, I'll say that they questions are fair and standardized. If you look at the interview feedback, you'll see that some odd and potentially very difficult questions were asked in the past.
well, at least they're over, right? and you have reason to celebrate since you got two interviews so that must mean your stats are good.

anyway, i know it's unfair to say specifically what the interview questions were, but do you think it's somewhat similar to UT's interview questions?

Good luck to all who applied and after all that stress I agree with the both of these guys, It would be an unfair advantage if we gave away any questions that might be asked, especially since we are still in consideration in acceptance ourselves. Hopefully like Mike said holds true about early admin ppl!

Imperalito...no I was not at the Abilene site...I'm at Amarillo. To those who thought they did horrible at the interview..I felt the same last year. But rest assured, what Mike says about early admission is completely true. Hey, to those of you guys who are interviewing in Amarillo the next few weeks...I am considering maybe meeting you guys for dinner or something on Thurs night. I completely understand that getting dinner is a pain since you don't have a car. So I guess let me know if anyone is interested..and I'll talk to some of my fellow P1's about it.

well, at least they're over, right? and you have reason to celebrate since you got two interviews so that must mean your stats are good.

anyway, i know it's unfair to say specifically what the interview questions were, but do you think it's somewhat similar to UT's interview questions?

I'd say that there was an overlap with some of the more general questions.

that was the longest interview process ever! it was great meeting some of you, you know who you are...i hope we can work together someday in the future as pharmacists...