TY vs. Prelim year Perception

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnxietyMonster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ideas if staff/faculty of my future program will have preconceived notions about me for not doing their in-house preliminary year and doing a transitional year instead. I'm hoping that that doesn't make me seem like I will be a lazy resident, etc. I'm kind of regretting it at this point in time and just curious if I'll be fighting an up-hill battle from the start. For me, I don't think it'll make me a better radiologist to have a harder intern year in addition to a lot of the TYs having amazing benefits. Curious on thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, no one cares. Don't worry about this. Be happy you matched the easier year.

Reactions: 1 users
No one asks and no one cares except maybe IR, but there are a billion things more important than that even if you’re trying to match IR.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I was the rads PD, I would think that you were smart to maximize your free time and come into rads residency refreshed ( provided you are headed to a chill TY). Jokes aside, really nobody cares. PDs have next year's app cycle to worry about. Your reputation will be set by your own efforts, work ethics and demeanor during rads residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I had a moment of weakness when I created this post, but your responses have eased my concerns and will hopefully help others also!