Type II MI vs NSTEMI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mossyfiber12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am getting confused. As far as I understood, NSTEMI can be due to obstructive CAD in the setting of supply demand mismatch. This is the same thing as type II MI, right?

I am kind of confused how to classify the Type I and II MI into the STEMI/NSTEMI/UA and demand ischemia pathophysiology.

If you guys can clear this up for me then that would be great.
 
We never really used the whole type I type II terminology where I trained. If they guy was coming in with chest pain we called it an NSTEMI and took him to the lab. If he was one of those septic types tach'ing away with a troponin bump we just signed off and told them to have him follow up in clinic if/when he recovered. But then we weren't one of those fancy ivory tower fellowships either 🙂
 
Bear in mind I'm not a Cardiologist or even a Cardiology fellow, so I probably don't have the most educated answer, but, my understanding is,
Type 1 MI: primary plaque rupture and subsequent thrombosis causing infarction (usually amenable to revascularization).
Type 2 MI: primarily a supply-demand mismatch issue i.e. rate-related ischemia, sepsis, anemia, acute HF, hypertensive emergency (not usually amenable to revascularization treat the underlying insult).

The term NSTEMI is kind of non-specific, because you can have an NSTEMI (myocardial injury) with either mechanism. It doesn't necessarily mean they're treated the same way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unfortunately a lot of how we document is meant to appease the coders and we use something like "elevated troponin like a type 2 event/injury" if we want to document what we're saying is a type 2 MI due to imbalance and some other co-morbidity and not obstructive/unstable coronary plaque or rupture that would trigger the coders and clipboard nurses for MI core measures.

If a true MI then we'll say ACS/NSTEMI OR unstable angina or acute MI or whichever fits.

Somewhat similar with CHF where the current lingo doesn't match up with billing language. For notes I I'd use acute in chronic systolic heart failure with decompensation but talking with a colleague I may use HFrEF.