type of fellowships after obgyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcozecca

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of fellowship can you do after a residency in obgyn? apart from the classical MFM, REI, GYNONC, UROGYN and MIGS?

Members don't see this ad.

Family Planning. Breast. Peds/gyn. Genetics, (usually after MFM).
thanks for the reply! What about Genetics? How long is the fellowship? What type of job will a fresh graduate from genetics do?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few MFM / Genetics combined fellowships out there. I think technically when I was researching it 5+ years ago you simultaneously completed an MFM *fellowship* and a genetics *residency*, usually in 4 years instead of 3 for MFM alone. Here's one from Hopkins: Combined MFM Fellowship and Medical Genetics Residency | Johns Hopkins Institute of Genetic Medicine

You can then sit for MFM boards and Genetics boards. This would be for someone who had an interest in genetics and wanted to follow high risk pregnancies, you'd have a particular expertise in women with genetic conditions who are pregnant (ie pregnancy complications in women with Marfan's) or counseling couples who have a fetal genetic diagnosis. Most people who have completed these fellowships work in Academics along with other geneticists / genetic counselors and do genetics-oriented research.

There are also some more weird fellowships out there - Stanford has a "health services design" fellowship to study hospital systems, there are also 1 year "OB Hospitalist" fellowships if you want to be a laborist. There are non-official "reproductive health" fellowships from PRH. There are also a few "OB infectious disease" ones out there.

There are a few MFM / Genetics combined fellowships out there. I think technically when I was researching it 5+ years ago you simultaneously completed an MFM *fellowship* and a genetics *residency*, usually in 4 years instead of 3 for MFM alone. Here's one from Hopkins: Combined MFM Fellowship and Medical Genetics Residency | Johns Hopkins Institute of Genetic Medicine

You can then sit for MFM boards and Genetics boards. This would be for someone who had an interest in genetics and wanted to follow high risk pregnancies, you'd have a particular expertise in women with genetic conditions who are pregnant (ie pregnancy complications in women with Marfan's) or counseling couples who have a fetal genetic diagnosis. Most people who have completed these fellowships work in Academics along with other geneticists / genetic counselors and do genetics-oriented research.

There are also some more weird fellowships out there - Stanford has a "health services design" fellowship to study hospital systems, there are also 1 year "OB Hospitalist" fellowships if you want to be a laborist. There are non-official "reproductive health" fellowships from PRH. There are also a few "OB infectious disease" ones out there.

Thanks!
and what about a genetic only (not combined) fellowship? does it offer lots of job opportunities afterwards?

Thanks!
and what about a genetic only (not combined) fellowship? does it offer lots of job opportunities afterwards?

You wouldn't do a just genetics residency after doing an entire ob/gyn residency. It would be 3 years of training in a bunch of pediatrics that you wouldn't utilize, I'm not even sure they'd let you apply.

You can see some of the career tracks here:

why are most of the fellowships so damn long in OBGYN. A reprod endo is 3 years more??? jesus.

1) you do 1 year of research, 18 months in REI
2)general obgyn residency does not prepare you for the majority of what fellowships will involve

Reactions: 1 users
I think surgical critical care is still an option too, but very rare

HH

Reactions: 1 user