heartdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
MD Rapper said:
hey everyone... i don't mean to take up too much time from anyone but I had a question based off of statistics I've seen published every so often. I'm just a graduate student so I'm not looking to enter a residency or fellowship yet... I'm just curious.

What is the difference between:
- invasive cardiology
- non-invasive cardiology
- interventional cardiology
Invasive cardiology -- performing diagnostic cardiac catheterizations (a catheter is placed in the femoral artery and guided through the aorta into the coronary arteries; contrast dye is injected and pictures are taken to look for stenosis (vessel blockage from atherosclerosis)). This is diagnostic only.

Non-invasive cardiology -- no invasive procedures performed

Interventional cardiology -- like invasive cardiology but once inside the coronary vessels, the cardiologist also fixes the lesions/stenosis using a variety of techniques such as balloon angioplasty, etc. (i.e. diagnostic and therapeutic). This requires an additional 1-2 year fellowship after the general cardiology fellowship.

Let me know if that makes sense.

MD Dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2001
Visit site
Status
Could you please comment on how difficult it is to get
1) A cardiology fellowship
2) Interventional cardiology fellowship

Thank you

About the Ads

heartdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
MD Dreams said:
Could you please comment on how difficult it is to get
1) A cardiology fellowship
2) Interventional cardiology fellowship

Thank you
I think the hard part is getting the general cardiology fellowship since cards and gi are the most competitive IM fellowships. Once you get the general cards fellowship, I think most people who want to do interventional can do it (usually at the same institution that they do the general cards fellowship).

Steiner83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Assume one gets the fellowship outside of the USA, how "easy" is it to get a good position after that within the states?

About the Ads