types of cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Rapper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

MD Rapper said:
hey everyone... i don't mean to take up too much time from anyone but I had a question based off of statistics I've seen published every so often. I'm just a graduate student so I'm not looking to enter a residency or fellowship yet... I'm just curious.

What is the difference between:
- invasive cardiology
- non-invasive cardiology
- interventional cardiology

Invasive cardiology -- performing diagnostic cardiac catheterizations (a catheter is placed in the femoral artery and guided through the aorta into the coronary arteries; contrast dye is injected and pictures are taken to look for stenosis (vessel blockage from atherosclerosis)). This is diagnostic only.

Non-invasive cardiology -- no invasive procedures performed

Interventional cardiology -- like invasive cardiology but once inside the coronary vessels, the cardiologist also fixes the lesions/stenosis using a variety of techniques such as balloon angioplasty, etc. (i.e. diagnostic and therapeutic). This requires an additional 1-2 year fellowship after the general cardiology fellowship.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Could you please comment on how difficult it is to get
1) A cardiology fellowship
2) Interventional cardiology fellowship

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
MD Dreams said:
Could you please comment on how difficult it is to get
1) A cardiology fellowship
2) Interventional cardiology fellowship

Thank you

I think the hard part is getting the general cardiology fellowship since cards and gi are the most competitive IM fellowships. Once you get the general cards fellowship, I think most people who want to do interventional can do it (usually at the same institution that they do the general cards fellowship).

Assume one gets the fellowship outside of the USA, how "easy" is it to get a good position after that within the states?