heartdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
MD Rapper said:
hey everyone... i don't mean to take up too much time from anyone but I had a question based off of statistics I've seen published every so often. I'm just a graduate student so I'm not looking to enter a residency or fellowship yet... I'm just curious.

What is the difference between:
- invasive cardiology
- non-invasive cardiology
- interventional cardiology

Invasive cardiology -- performing diagnostic cardiac catheterizations (a catheter is placed in the femoral artery and guided through the aorta into the coronary arteries; contrast dye is injected and pictures are taken to look for stenosis (vessel blockage from atherosclerosis)). This is diagnostic only.

Non-invasive cardiology -- no invasive procedures performed

Interventional cardiology -- like invasive cardiology but once inside the coronary vessels, the cardiologist also fixes the lesions/stenosis using a variety of techniques such as balloon angioplasty, etc. (i.e. diagnostic and therapeutic). This requires an additional 1-2 year fellowship after the general cardiology fellowship.

Let me know if that makes sense.

MD Dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2001
Visit site
Status
Could you please comment on how difficult it is to get
1) A cardiology fellowship
2) Interventional cardiology fellowship

Thank you

About the Ads

heartdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
MD Dreams said:
Could you please comment on how difficult it is to get
1) A cardiology fellowship
2) Interventional cardiology fellowship

Thank you

I think the hard part is getting the general cardiology fellowship since cards and gi are the most competitive IM fellowships. Once you get the general cards fellowship, I think most people who want to do interventional can do it (usually at the same institution that they do the general cards fellowship).

Steiner83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Assume one gets the fellowship outside of the USA, how "easy" is it to get a good position after that within the states?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads