Types of experience...does it matter which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should my friend do in terms of experience?

• Commit to LTC, inpatient experience is good but not essential in this case

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Decline LTC, inpatient experience is very important for future employment

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for anyone in a position to hire. I have a friend who will have worked 5+ years as a tech/intern in a LTC setting upon graduation, but they're interested in hospital staffing (possibly residency) after graduation.

He's had a few decent prospects at hospital intern positions but nothing solid (outlook not great), meanwhile, his LTC pharmacy just asked if he can commit for the summer. His options are either a) decline and wait for a hospital spot that may never come (and lose $$$$ in the process) or b) commit to LTC.

Question is...would you ding him for having 5yrs of LTC pharmacy experience but no inpatient experience? Is waiting/pushing for an inpatient job worth it? Or is the "benefit" come interview time only marginal?

He doesn't really want to sit around and be unemployed, but if you deem it important enough, he might redouble his efforts.

*my guess is no, he should commit to LTC...the benefit of inpatient experience isn't important enough to put everything else on hold. Then again, I don't make the hiring decisions :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

commit in the LTC, then find a part-time/per diem in hospital, then switch when there's a full time inpatient open.

doh, forgot one sticky detail... said student goes to school on the east coast, but the LTC pharmacy is on the west coast. didn't want to dive into logistics, but i suppose he could go west with a work commitment and continue to apply/interview over the summer (plane tix are ~$250 RT).

he doesn't want to leave his LTC employer in a lurch should he get hired, but I told him that if he gets hired inpatient here (east coast), tell them you'll start in a month and give your employer 3+ weeks notice. He could always search again come fall, but he'll be a P-3, most hospitals like to hire P-1/P-2 due to training/turnover.

but my primary question is....is inpatient exp. worth all this hassle? or is there a collective "as long as it's not retail" mentality?

Question for anyone in a position to hire. I have a friend who will have worked 5+ years as a tech/intern in a LTC setting upon graduation, but they're interested in hospital staffing (possibly residency) after graduation.

He's had a few decent prospects at hospital intern positions but nothing solid (outlook not great), meanwhile, his LTC pharmacy just asked if he can commit for the summer. His options are either a) decline and wait for a hospital spot that may never come (and lose $$$$ in the process) or b) commit to LTC.

Question is...would you ding him for having 5yrs of LTC pharmacy experience but no inpatient experience? Is waiting/pushing for an inpatient job worth it? Or is the "benefit" come interview time only marginal?

He doesn't really want to sit around and be unemployed, but if you deem it important enough, he might redouble his efforts.

*my guess is no, he should commit to LTC...the benefit of inpatient experience isn't important enough to put everything else on hold. Then again, I don't make the hiring decisions :luck:

Take the LTC job until you can find an inpatient hospital job. LTC is depressing.