Types of experience...I need advice

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by klebsiella, Jul 22, 2006.

1. klebsiella

klebsiella Member
    2+ Year Member

I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion. I will be attending Creighton this fall and I have no pharmacy experience. I have several years of R&D exp in drug development, biomaterials and research exp from when I got my BS, but nothing directly related to pharmacy. So i have started looking for a pt job and a few options have arose, I was hoping someone could help me "see" what would be the better long term decision for someone getting a PharmD.

1) Research with a Med School professor (his focus is on transplantation)
    2) Research with a Dental school prof (focus on dental materials)
    3) Walgreens
    4) Grocery chain pharmacy

Since I have done research, the first two appeal to me a little more because I have experience, but a voice in my head tells me that it would be more beneficial in the long run to jump into a pharmacy setting and sink or swim.

Thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Personally, I don't think there is any one good path for work experience, especially for a part time job when you are first starting school - UNLESS you know for sure what aspect of pharmacy you want to pursue.

However, if you're like most first years, you probably don't have a clue where you'll want to go in 3-4 years or even 10. My opinion, for right now, get the job which gives you the most flexibility time-wise. You may want that time to study, volunteer for school-sponsored activities like drug education clinics, etc..

Don't get a job in which you have absolutely no interest - what good does that do you? If you really hate immunology, you won't like the med school job - just as an example. If money is an issue, you must consider the pay above all things.

However, in my mind - time is the most important. You'll want time to adjust to the new demands, take advantage of the opportunities school presents, perhaps pursue joining the student poliitical organizations & getting to know a new place to live. You never get time back!

4. baggywrinkle

baggywrinkle cranky old fart
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy in both hospital and retail center on deadlines, prioritization of tasks and time management on a minute to minute basis.
    Seconds count. Division of attention. Heavy on the people skills be they
    your nurses or your local medicaid population. Do I mix that irrigation for the
    operating room or the chemo that fifth floor is screaming about. Both are
    STAT and neither will take later for an answer. How do you feel about an
    irate customer taking a swing at you when you tell her that her meds are
    all refill too soon and it's cash or she'll just have to wait. How will you finesse
    momma when she insists that her little precious takes priority over everyone
    else in the que.

Classic bench pharmacy is very different from a laboratory research environment

A summer spent manning the drive through in a slamming 500 per day
    Walreens would let you know if it your cup of tea

5. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I think all 4 of your options sound interesting for different reasons. However, I will admit a personal bias (since I've worked retail for 6 years already - I'll be a P1 this fall also.) At some point - not necessarily this year - you should find out whether you have any interest in working retail or not. A majority of the jobs when you leave pharmacy school will be retail, and it will probably stay that way as long as CVS and Walgreens keep building stores on every other corner. As the other poster mentioned, 3 or 6 months or so will be enough for you to decide if you see yourself doing this or not. If you do or you don't - whichever, you will have a better idea of where to focus your remaining years of school and your rotations.