Types of LORs for Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ohellothere

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I attend an Australian medical school, and am an Australian national in need of E3 visa.
step 1: 239 step 2: 255

I'm scheduling rotations for 2021, and can fit 3 months of US clinical experience in (hands on, current medical student).
My current plans are: 1 month IM + 2 months psychiatry.

Would this suffice? Or should I make it 1 month IM + 1 month FM + 1 month psychiatry to add some diversity (or some other combination).
 
Hi everyone!

I attend an Australian medical school, and am an Australian national in need of E3 visa.
step 1: 239 step 2: 255

I'm scheduling rotations for 2021, and can fit 3 months of US clinical experience in (hands on, current medical student).
My current plans are: 1 month IM + 2 months psychiatry.

Would this suffice? Or should I make it 1 month IM + 1 month FM + 1 month psychiatry to add some diversity (or some other combination).

If you know you're going into psych, why not just do 3 psych rotations? I think most programs here will assume you have clinical experience in the other fields outside of the US, so may as well make as many connections in the field as you can.
 
If you know you're going into psych, why not just do 3 psych rotations? I think most programs here will assume you have clinical experience in the other fields outside of the US, so may as well make as many connections in the field as you can.

I've been reading that many psych residency programs require IM/FM letters as a pre-requisite for application. If these letters don't come from a US elective, I take it that I submit Australian IM/FM letters instead. While this seems less desirable as it stands, Australian letters are nowhere near as embellished as US counterparts. Australian LORs are extremely sparing in praise. The greatest compliment my classmates have received from an Australian attending is a few sentences, with the most colourful adjective being 'great' or 'fantastic'.