Typical MD/PhD or DO/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosopherdoc

Mixed up medical student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's heard of the final goal of the dual degree student being. I have heard from several different physician-scientists on how they have structured the use of both degrees to balance clinical work and research. I'd like to hear stories of what others are doing or what they have heard of people doing because they usually are so interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought this post would get some more love

The options:

1. dual career in academic medicine (the idealistic goal)- see patients and do basic science research, usually one (research) predominates way more than the other (usually 90% research time, 10% clinic time; probably the max would be 70% research time and 30% clinic time on the other end of the spectrum)

2. single career in academic medicine - either as a clinician or basic scientist

3. private practice as a clinician (but only for those who are crazy enough to value ridiculously high salaries and a better lifestyle)

4. industry

The dirty little secret is that many do not choose #1 after spending years of training.