Typical Neuro Consult Service

Started by TIAgirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TIAgirl

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To residents and fellows at ANY neuro program: 😀

How many patients are typically on your consult census a day (average and range)?

How many does a resident see on average a day? How many on average are new consults? How many are follow ups?
 
It will depend on whether consult services are split into general and stroke/ICU or lumped all together. I have done both. If you see stroke consults, you see a lot more people on a daily basis because of all the pre-op clearance calls and post-op deficits calls. I generally tried to see and write a note on every follow-up every day, which sounds rough, but it helps the primary team feel that you are watching, and can help cut down on all the question pages. On an average day, I would need to see 5-8 new patients, plus the new ones from overnight. It can get very busy. The number of follow-ups on your list depends a lot on your and the attending's style regarding signing off. Some attendings hate signing off, and want to keep the patient on the list until they are discharged. Personally, I like to limit follow-ups, and try to sign off when the consulting question has been sufficiently answered and the patient is likely to be neurologically stable until outpatient follow-up. As a PGY-4 general consult resident, I probably had 15 people on my list, but if things went well it could be as short as 5 at the end of the week. On stroke consult as a PGY-3, I had more, maybe 20-ish, but with more rapid list turnover.

ED consults are an entirely different animal. On a 24 hour shift, my record was 28 new consults. That was a bad day.