• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

typical number of research hours?

evoviiigsr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
I was just wondering what is a good range in numbers of hours of undergrad research to be doing? I have the opportunity to do 400 hours this summer and was wondering how that stacks up. Thanks!

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I was just wondering what is a good range in numbers of hours of undergrad research to be doing? I have the opportunity to do 400 hours this summer and was wondering how that stacks up. Thanks!
Pardon me for being blunt: Who cares? Take the opportunity if it interests you. If it doesn't interest you, then do something else.

BellyDancingDoc

Rump Shaker
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

It's all about quality, not quantity. Shoot to do any/all of the following:

1) Get your name published on the lab's publication/abstract
2) Do a poster presentation and present it at some sort of conference
3) Create and follow-through with your own research project. Publish if at all possible.

At your interviews, no one will ask about hours. They'll want details of the research itself, and details about your involvement.

About the Ads

tdd340

Assistant to the sensei
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hours mean absolutely nothing at all. What you get out of it is all that counts. Can you talk about what you learned in the process, both the science and also about your insights into the process, how it helped you personally, etc? That is what really counts. As dropkick said if you think you will get something out of it than do it but worry about how many hours is a waste of time.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Sounds good to me. As long as they are 400 hours of meaningful work and you can talk at length about it, you should be good.

There is no magical number of hours. Do what inspires you. I think what's valued are what you get out of your experience, i.e., the quality of your experience and proactivity, and your demonstration of commitment.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.