Typical Outpatient Volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted398564

I am on a PM&R elective at the moment and am enjoying myself. I particularly enjoy the time I get to spend with each patient. During this rotation, most visits are at least 30 minutes, while new patients and EMG's are given one hour. Overall, I'd say we average seeing 10-14 patients a day. While enjoyable, is this a typical volume for a PM&R doc or is it typically more like what you see in family practice? (15 min visits, 20+ patients a day)

Members don't see this ad.

I schedule 40 min for a new patient, 10 min for a follow up, 30 min for 1 extremity EMG, and 60 for 2 or more extremities. 30 min for an ultrasound (diagnostic) and 20 for an injection with US guidance.

IMEs are 60 min.

If I kept the kind of volume your clinic is doing, I'd starve

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I figured this volume was low, it seemed too good to be true. Anyone else mind sharing their typical day? Does it ever feel like a grind once you get to 20+ patients?

I figured this volume was low, it seemed too good to be true. Anyone else mind sharing their typical day? Does it ever feel like a grind once you get to 20+ patients?

you can see 15 patients a day if you want. but, you will make half of what you will for 30 patients a day (roughly). my numbers are close to lobelsteve's.

Yeah...it's really PM or R, not PM and R

you might think I am joking, but no, I am not.

working for academic ortho group, 10+ years, now at 55-60 level 3 follow ups per day, 2.5 days per week. Lots of student/resident help. Couldn't do it without them.