Typical person-Need advice on applying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggxf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

23 y.o Caucasian female/ Ohio resident

Stats:
Bachelor's: 3.2 GPA, 3.0 BCMP (If I went DO, my GPA would be 3.4 & 3.15 bcpm from grade replacements)

Master's: 3.7 GPA, 3.5 BCMP

Combined: 3.2 GPA 3.1 BCMP

-currently retaking the first part of Ochem, received a C first time around, just trying to boost my BCPM.

MCAT: 31 1o/11/1o

My hx:
-tons of research experience. Began at 19 and have since worked for all major hospital in the area. I worked in the actual departments all hours of the day so have a good understanding of what it takes to become a physician. Have 5 outstanding letters of rec. from heads of the emergency department/advisers/all job positions. Shadowed & volunteered.

-Wrote & carried out my own research study-published abstract (manu still in development).

-as it stands, considering STRONGLY, applying as disadvantaged status: grew up with nothing, drug addicts for parents, started working at 15 to help pay the bills, supported my sister and myself my first 2 years of college (hence the low gpa), after I begged my way into a research job with no research experience my grades shot up. Anyone have any feelings toward this? Not sure if it's beneficial-read somewhere schools will take a lower gpa if the student is considered disadvantaged.

My questions to all those who read this:

1. Is there a point to taking in postbac courses? If I do a calculator I found on here I'd need to take like 10 courses with straight A's to even bump the GPA by .1. Thoughts?

2. Obviously applying to both MD/DO schools-any suggestions other than OH schools?

3. Should I consider retaking the MCAT to offset my horrible undergrad GPA?

4. Early decision? Disadvantaged status? Thoughts on these if you have any!

Thanks again-I feel like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to be very sure that you are a lock if you are going to apply Early Decision. The school could release you into the general population as late as October thus seriously impairing your odds of a successful cycle.

Your MCAT is fine. Re-taking it does not change your gpa. We do not average Master's grades with undergrad GPA (there may be an exception somewhere but it's rare).

Physician LOR's don't carry a lot of weight in MD applications.

You will have ample opportunity to explain the obstacles you have overcome to provide context for the gpa.

DO schools are an excellent idea and they will like the physician letters. There may even be some that will take you as is without grade replacement. In order to know this you need to calculate your AACOMAS gpa.

1. Is there a point to taking in postbac courses? If I do a calculator I found on here I'd need to take like 10 courses with straight A's to even bump the GPA by .1. Thoughts? Perhaps, since Post-Bac classes are more relevant/easily comparable to other applicants than the Masters GPA. I would venture to say you must improve your GPA significantly if you hope gain admission into an MD school.

2. Obviously applying to both MD/DO schools-any suggestions other than OH schools? Look through the MSAR and research the schools according to:
1) Stats
2) In-state preference
3) BS/MD preference
4) MISSION STATEMENT (which, unfortunately, seems to be the factor that few actually take the time to research. Make sure you have a demonstrated interest in their mission.)

3. Should I consider retaking the MCAT to offset my horrible undergrad GPA? In my opinion, and others may disagree, your MCAT is far from the issue. It's well-balanced and re-taking it entails risking a lower score. You should spend time to boost your non-research ECs (e.g. activities beyond yourself, altruism) and try to improve your GPA.

4. Early decision? Disadvantaged status? Thoughts on these if you have any! I sure as heck would not apply early if I were you. You need to apply plentifully, broadly and early. This cannot be done if you try to apply for an early decision program. You are essentially banking on one school. If that doesn't work out, you won't have the chance to send out the rest of your applications until very late in the cycle, a death sentence for your GPA.

Thanks again-I feel like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown! Don't be nervous! Just take it one step at a time, stay practical minded, and you'll be on the path that you're meant to be on. Keep calm and carry on with researching schools! Onwards and upwards! Best of luck.:=|:-):

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user