Typical rad onc clinic throughput

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Werg

Medical Physics
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to estimate the necessary computing horsepower for dosimetry in a typical clinic for one of my research projects. I was trying to find data on average patient throughput, but couldn't find anything via quick googling...

What's the typical number of patients receiving radiation therapy in a single clinic per year? Guesses appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually interested in computing resources for dose calculations (i.e. number of CPUs), so I'm trying to estimate the number of new patients per month or year.

I've heard various numbers for daily treatments usually something like 50-75, but I don't really know how to translate that into new patients per month or year. I've made an estimate like this: assume a typical fraction schedule of 30, so the patient is treated for 6 (5 day) weeks. That means, on average, all patients will have been cycled through in 6 weeks. So a clinic treating 60 pts/day 52 weeks per year would see approximately 60 * (52/6) = 520 new patients. This however feels low.

Here's the general formula based on 52 treatment weeks/year:
Total patients per year = daily load *(260 [treatment days per year] / fractions)