Typing vs. writing for Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CNphair

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the CS exam draws near, I am wondering if anyone who has taken the exam has any recommendations regarding whether it is faster to type or write out the patient note? I was planning to type, but looking at the sample "outline" format of the notes, it seems hand-writing the note might be easier...Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

CNphair said:
As the CS exam draws near, I am wondering if anyone who has taken the exam has any recommendations regarding whether it is faster to type or write out the patient note? I was planning to type, but looking at the sample "outline" format of the notes, it seems hand-writing the note might be easier...Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I would say it depends on your handwriting and your typing speed. Personally, I think it is easier to write the note, as long as your legibility is good when you are writing fast. I just wrote all the notes because this is how we did it at our school's osce.

Typing may help you in editing/revising the note. For example, there were a few notes where I remembered an important part of the history after I finished the note. I had to add that important fact at the end of the note (ie, after the social and family history) when it was part of the HPI. Therefore, it really did not make sense to have it at the end. If I had typed, it would have been easier to insert it in the hpi section.