Typing vs. Writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasGuy41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else finding it VERY difficult to find a typewriter? And I'm not good at using them so it always looks crappy. Is anyone just printing neatly? Does it even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

i handwrote a couple of apps. a lot of people here will tell you don't do it. i felt like finishing them rather than sitting on them so decided to do them neatly in pen. i handwrote every college and grad school app and had no problem with it. med school's a bit different b/c there are so many applicants, but i am willing to take my chances.

I have an old Texas Instruments Electronic Typerwriter/Word Processor.

I plan to use that.. if it still works.

Members don't see this ad :)
i handwrote. i think it's fine. do a search on this topic if you want to see a debate that shows just how anal med school applicants can be (myself included). :D

I think it's personal preference. I don't think one is better than the other and both seem to lead to interviews, acceptances, etc. There is potential for both type and handwritten secondaries to look either nice or terrible. So I say do what you want.

Obviously it's personal preference as already pointed out, but just for the record, I hand-wrote all of my applications (except those that were submitted online). So far, I don't feel I am at any disadvantage, as I have received 5 interviews out of 7 secondaries. Of course, I dont know yet whether these will result in acceptances, but I will keep ya posted!! Anyway, regardless of what some will say, my experience shows that hand-writing is acceptable. Hope that helps!

This topic is back again?!

I HANDWROTE, and STAPLED my picture on the Georgetown application (save the essay which i was able to attach) and got an interview (i dont know if that means much)

I typed all my secondaries last year -- all 21 of them! Well, actually I emailed and my Mom typed........ :oops:
Thanks, Mom! :) :cool: :)

Here's the definitive thread on the topic:
Handwrite versus Type secondaries: Let's settle this . Read the whole thing, toward the end it gets hilarious!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I handwrote the addresses on the envelope although i typed the applications. i bet THATS why i havent gotten any interviews yet. :laugh:
secretary: "well, this envelope is handwritten...sending it unopened to the rejection pile." :laugh: :laugh: :p

i hear they only let people in who use american flag stamps. is this just a rumor? i thought for sure my breast cancer stamps would at least get me an interview.

Originally posted by randomlogik
I handwrote the addresses on the envelope although i typed the applications. i bet THATS why i havent gotten any interviews yet.

:eek: omigod, you handwrote the addresses!!:eek: What were you thinking? :confused:

lola, in order to increase one's odds in this crap-shootish process, one should use both an American flag stamp and the breast cancer stamp!! and preferably with the American flag coverng up the breast in question!! Sheesh, I hope you don't have to reapply because of this!! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DW
guys, we've already hammered out the issues with stamps. please read this thread and you will find all the information you need :p

Sorry, DW, that thread only addressed the issue of stamp orientation and placement on the envelope, salivary DNA, and foreign versus domestic stamps. The issue of which domestic stamp or combination of stamps to use is still very much alive!!:rolleyes: