Typo in a thank you e-mail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcrobbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I made a mistake a while ago that has turned from worry to fear. I wrote a thank you e-mail to the admissions e-mail of a school I interviewed at (it was MMI style, so I did not have specific people to e-mail because I couldn't get their contact info in such a short period of time). Did I shoot myself in the foot?

I did some editing and left in a word from one of my edits (I remember deleting it, but I think an auto-save feature on my e-mail app left it in...)

the typo (bolded) in question: "I was particularly impressed by the exposure XYZ SOM provides students with opportunities such as the [redacted]."

:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

"I was particularly impressed by the exposure XYZ SOM provides students with opportunities such as the [redacted]."

This actually doesn't sound too glaringly incorrect. They will probably just take it as a kind of awkward, lengthy sentence and not even realize its wordiness was unintended. (Read as if you'd changed "with" to "through.")

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application :

h-armstrong-roberts-throwing-paper-in-the-trash.jpg

Thanks all for the responses, I feel a lot better now. Also, the typo isn't so glaringly obvious so that definitely helps. In the end I don't think a small error in a gesture of gratitude will detract from how I presented myself in my application and interview.

Come on, are you serious???? No offense but people like you further the stereotype that all pre-meds are neurotic :laugh:

I thought after reading the title that you forgot to change the name of the school, which would have actually been a mistake worth worrying about. But a simple typo like this is no big deal. Hell, I've found numerous grammatical errors on the admissions websites of schools.

Come on, are you serious???? No offense but people like you further the stereotype that all pre-meds are neurotic :laugh:

I thought after reading the title that you forgot to change the name of the school, which would have actually been a mistake worth worrying about. But a simple typo like this is no big deal. Hell, I've found numerous grammatical errors on the admissions websites of schools.

My eye twitches every time I see my state medical school refer to "perspective" students on their website.

Chill.

Well, I made a mistake a while ago that has turned from worry to fear. I wrote a thank you e-mail to the admissions e-mail of a school I interviewed at (it was MMI style, so I did not have specific people to e-mail because I couldn't get their contact info in such a short period of time). Did I shoot myself in the foot?

I did some editing and left in a word from one of my edits (I remember deleting it, but I think an auto-save feature on my e-mail app left it in...)

the typo (bolded) in question: "I was particularly impressed by the exposure XYZ SOM provides students with opportunities such as the [redacted]."

Dude, seriously, you need to calm down. Nobody cares about those thank you messages to begin with (you could have not sent one and not raised an eyebrow), so they're not going to care about an extremely trivial typo. Maybe if you wrote in another school's name in the letter or accidentally attached nudes of yourself you would have reason to worry, but not over this.

You're good.

Happens all the time.

Dude, seriously, you need to calm down. Nobody cares about those thank you messages to begin with (you could have not sent one and not raised an eyebrow), so they're not going to care about an extremely trivial typo. Maybe if you wrote in another school's name in the letter or accidentally attached nudes of yourself you would have reason to worry, but not over this.

:laugh::laugh: Thank you for a laugh

OP has calmed himself so I think y'all can do the same, now :thumbup: