U cincinnati's Match List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilla

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really like to attend U Cincinnati; however, I've noticed that most of their match for residency are at Ohio based hospitals. I've never lived in Ohio before and if it is not the place for me I would like to try somewhere else for residency. I am not sure whether attending U cinny would place me at a disadvantage if that should become my experience.
How much consideration should I give to a school's match list when deciding whether to attend?
Any insight would be welcomed...thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I go to UC and I matched early in California for a pretty competitive residency...Our match list shows a lot of people that stay in Ohio because we have usually have a lot of ohio residents that want to stay around, besides Ohio med schools have some pretty damn good residency programs in all specialties. The point is if you do well here at Cincinnati, you'll be competitive for pretty much anywhere...I know of several classmates past and present that have matched in top residencies at top programs...so worry about how you'll do, not about Cincinnati...then the rest will take care of itself.

You have to consider that it is a state school, so a lot of the class is from Ohio, and would like to stay. Also, if you want to do peds, surg, or EM, etc, their residency programs are very very good, so you may match here for the education. If you think about Ohio, it has a very large urban base w/a lot of hospitals, therefore a lot of training programs, opposed to say the intermountain area w/zero in some states.

If you have any other questions about UC please feel free to post them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know what percent of the med-students get into their top three choice for residency?

I'm not sure for this year, maybe somebody else does.

This should also be taken w/a grain of salt. The AAMC after this year is no longer releasing those stats for several reasons, but the main one is this...

If you have a counselor who tells a student to shoot low, only apply to sure bets, and play it safe the school might have a match rate near 100%. Looks great on paper, but doesn't really benefit the students overall.

Another counselor at a different school tells the student to shoot for the stars, and even if they miss out on the top three, they match to their #5, which is considerably higher than their "backups". The school will match more people to better programs, but come up w/a stat that is considerably less than the one mentioned above.

I hope this makes sense. As far as I know, I've yet to hear of anyone that didn't match to thier top three, and I'd be amazed if it wasn't near 90%'ish.

Thanx a great deal Tyson.