U.Conn OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Insulting the intelligence of patients (right to their face and behind their backs),
making fun of their weight,
making fun of patients with psychiatric illnesses that aren't within their control (like schizophrenia),
yanking ppl around by the shirt collar or neck tie (technically, a form of assault which surprisingly is illegal),
making statements that coerce o


First of all...If you had any familiarity with the UCONN OMFS program you would know that Dr. G has nothing to do with running the program...That would be Dr Shafer who is both Chairman and program director.

Also as shocking as your claims are...has anybody complained to the administration...or better yet have you?? From my experience at UCONN, the students there complain about everything and I highly doubt they would tolerate this type of behavior from anyone...and I hope that they would report it if this "alleged" behavior took place... If it is in fact true the administration would not tolerate it and he would be dismissed. I know for a fact that the administration does not tolerate this and it would be dealt with appropriately.

For your sake I hope that you did complain about this and document it with proper administration officials...If not I hope that you have a good lawyer, for slander and libel are not very pretty things to defend against. Also, don't be fooled by your anonymity of this site...subponeas will easily obtain your email and IP address....and eventually your true identity. If you did complain about this and nothing was done...looks like you got screwed...call the ACLU they love this stuff...
 
It's good to see that someone took these accusations seriously when a previous poster would not (to the previous poster: I suggest you take a law, ethics, and professionalism course if you cannot seem to understand that assault and threats/coercion/intimidation go directly against our code of ethics). As for the poster who took the complaints seriously: thanks, its nice to see some ppl take it seriously, unlike the administration/deans who sat by and did nothing on 2 occassions when I saw Dr. G trying to intimidate ppl. As for being sued (it would be libel, not slander since slander is spoken) I'm not worried. There were witnesses to some of it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
holy crap! I've never seen such a strong reaction to a few comments on SDN. A professor, residents (including the chief).... ?!!!

From my vantage point, it's hard to say if the rumors about UConn OMFS are true. However, one thing is certain: the people at UConn omfs are at least mildly ******ed for caring about what people say on this (mostly b.s.) website.

peas. :luck:
 
....I can tell you what I DID witness. I did see a student pulled by the lapel of his lab coat by a professor at UConn. I have no problem putting my hand on a Bible and swearing to it. And, I'm sure the person to whom it was done would do the same.

If anyone is charged with libel/slander, it's up to the other side to prove their case. I know there are a lot of rumors about UConn, but this one I was a personal witness to.

Sadly, the prof who did it is so likeable in so many other ways. 🙁
 
holy crap! I've never seen such a strong reaction to a few comments on SDN. A professor, residents (including the chief).... ?!!!

From my vantage point, it's hard to say if the rumors about UConn OMFS are true. However, one thing is certain: the people at UConn omfs are at least mildly ******ed for caring about what people say on this (mostly b.s.) website.

peas. :luck:

I started this thread asking for comments on U.Conn.... that's NOT what I was expecting.
I think the people at U.Conn are legitimate in responding to those attacks.
A lot of applicants look at this forum and what people say can influence their opinions about the program.
 
I started this thread asking for comments on U.Conn.... that's NOT what I was expecting.
I think the people at U.Conn are legitimate in responding to those attacks.
A lot of applicants look at this forum and what people say can influence their opinions about the program.

Why would a professor take the time to post a reply here if they weren't somewhat insecure about what was said? Most professors I know don't give a **** about anything anybody says about them.

Seriously, don't the faculty at UConn have better/more important things to be doing than looking at SDN?
 
Why would a professor take the time to post a reply here if they weren't somewhat insecure about what was said? Most professors I know don't give a **** about anything anybody says about them.

Seriously, don't the faculty at UConn have better/more important things to be doing than looking at SDN?

Actually, a couple of them (UConn profs and admin) check out this site to find out what students are saying and then target them later on for punishment...this goes back to the sayings by students that "big brother is watching" and that "the walls have ears."
 
Why would a professor take the time to post a reply here if they weren't somewhat insecure about what was said? Most professors I know don't give a **** about anything anybody says about them.

Seriously, don't the faculty at UConn have better/more important things to be doing than looking at SDN?

I think you can learn volumes about the program from the replies to my post. They systematically rebuke my post as a whole as unfounded lies, then they proceed to legitimize each and every one of my claims by rationalizing their deficiencies. Not only is each and every fact in my origional post completely true, I quote UCONN OMFS faculty and residents to back up each of my claims. In fact, I quoted some of the people who responded to this very post. And regarding the claims about the surgical volume, the UCONN website data is from 2002 (these numbers have trailed off each year since then. As the attendings left, the surgical caseload dropped precipitously, and to this day has not recovered. Even still, they claim that they only performed 75 generals for that year for all 12 of their residents. FYI, for ABOMS certification, each resident has to graduate with 100 generals EACH).

No one who is currently in the program or affiliated with the program can respond honestly to this thread without fear of retribution. If you are a resident and do not get along with or disagree with the status quo (and Dr. Shafer is not the status quo), you will be marginalized, you will not operate, and you will be pressured to leave. This is what happened to the residents who left the program over the past decade. You can get a sense of this in the replies to this post.

Unfortunately, I think the people at UCONN will blame this post if they fail to match this year. Historicaly, UCONN has a very poor match record, and it's not because of my posts. Personlly, I find Dr. Shafer to be quite afable, and he does treat his residents as collegues and with respect. I'm not critical of his personality, but to the way he runs the program (see my origional post).
For all of UCONN's ills, it has the potential to be a great program. In my opinion, this would require new leadership.
 
What do you want to know? Please message here or DM and I will answer any questions you have.

Would love to update anyone interested in knowing more about us.

Have a wonderful day!
Would love a full breakdown like the other programs if you have the time. Otherwise, program structure/timeline, scope, attendings, call, location(s?), research, didactics, favorite aspects of the program