U. michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muscles

student of the month
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
so, I'm off to University of Michigan for residency; in another thread they were asking advice about Wash U - I'm asking for advice about Ann Arbor, ie, where to live, things you wished you'd known before starting there, etc...
Any advice from current/past residents is much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats! it's great. . . to be. . . a michigan wolverine!

places to live- i lived close to campus at nielsen square, then moved further away to village park apartments on the northeast side of town. nielsen square is right across fuller from the hospital, a little too close in my opinion- can't escape it, it's always up there on that hill, looking down at you. i thought the kerrytown area to the west of the hospital was cute- older houses. if you are interested in buying a house, you might want to try a little further out of ann arbor- dexter, chelsea, ypsilanti township, or ypsilanti (but be careful of your location in ypsi because some parts are shady). if you're looking for a realtor, i recommend ellen cimmino. her daughter cara was in my med school class, and she's helped many residents find houses.

feel free to pm with any questions!
o2s

My wife and I found some places in Dexter and Chelsea. Mapquest says it is a 15 min. drive, but I'm concerned about traffic. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
should be fine. the only time i ever saw serious stand-still traffic was on game days near the stadium.

ann arbor's a small town. you don't get city traffic. parking, on the other hand, is in short supply. med students weren't guaranteed parking from month to month. i think residents get parking.

My wife and I found some places in Dexter and Chelsea. Mapquest says it is a 15 min. drive, but I'm concerned about traffic. What do you think?

The housing market in the Ann Arbor area has really suffered lately (due to the general recession and Pfizer pulling out of the city)...which is a huge advantage to incoming residents since there's a glut of houses and condos/townhomes for drastically reduced prices. Given the price drops, I don't think it's worth the commute from out of town.

One area I'd recommend checking out is the northeast part of town (near I-23/M14). There's a great townhome association called Barclay Park (onear Nixon and Plymouth St) w/ 2 and even 3 bedroom/2 bathroom townhomes from $160-180K. For perspective, I purchased mine brand new in 2004 for $207K. Another nice area is Knightsbridge about a mile west of barclay which is a little more affordable as well. A lot of Michigan residents from different specialties lived in these places and it's <4mile/10min drive to work. Check it out!