U of Buffalo vs SUNY Upstate vs Albany Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeremyEM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ROL is due next week & I'm very uncertain of the order of these 3 places. Hoping someone can shed some light with some pros & cons of these 3. Location of these 3 are not a factor. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Ill try, but i am at one of these programs however did interview at all 3.

Buffalo 2 hospitals, one very new, pd seems motivated, good urban exposure. 12 hour shifts, seem to have the most scheduled hours out of the 3

Albany least amount of scut and most ed exposure. 9 hr shifts, all of residency is pretty much at one hospital. Cramped department

Upstate multiple practice sites. Nice shift schedule and perhaps the lightest load of the 3. Good inner city population, underserved. Regional pc center

With that said, i went purely on feel and my interactions on my interview day. Im happy where i ended up and wouldve likely been happy at any of the 3. Location also mattered to me but as u stated doesnt for you.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I went to SUNY Upstate. I was apprehensive at first but I can honestly tell you that if I had to do residency all over again I would do it there. I have no conflict of interest since I am now half way across the country in a private practice setting.

Their attendings are awesome, their PD Dr. Paolo is like a walking thesaurus, dude knows all the research about everything and is an amazing lecturer. Plus he's a young guy and not afraid to hang out with residents.

Shifts are short enough that you will have time to go home and read. There's a bunch of places to hang out post-shift.

Everything else you probably covered in the interview. If you have specific questions PM me.

Good luck!

Be prepared for long depressing winters in syracuse, no but really long and depressing winters. You will get amazing training at all 3...with that said I have never met an unhappy resident at Albany...I did my away rotation there and to be honest their residents are possibly the happiest I have ever seen...not too mention there PD is as knowledgable as they come. Awesome vibe from the faculty and being perfectly honest Albany is 10x of a better city than syracuse. If you thought buffalo was the snowiest city in the country, cuse is undeniably worse lol. In the words of Elsa.....let it snow!!!