U of Louisville or U of Kentucky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmlematch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is better among U of louisville and U of Kentucky?

Members don't see this ad.

I may be a little biased, but.... UofL all the way baby!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
U of L has a stronger program and more name recognition in the area. We are the largest level one trauma center in the are and receive tons of cases from surrounding rural areas. Our nicu is a level three and is in the same medical center as kosairs children's hospital. Our program director is extremely caring and considers all of the residents an investment into the program. Didacts are strong. Its a great program.

Thank you GYN DOC, Yes U of L surely appears a better program than Univ of Kentucky. I was curious to know how many residents they take internally for their Cardiology fellowship. Can you please throw more light on this. Thanks and regards.

Something I considered in deciding whether to apply to UK or UL (I didn't consider it terribly necessary to apply to both) was their success in the Match. From the statistics available from the AAMC, UK has consistently matched all their spots, whereas UL has had some trouble doing so, filling spots in the scramble.

On Cardiology (an area which I myself am interested in pursuing): from what I gathered in talking informally with some of the cardiology fellows, UK used to fill most of their cards spots internally, but things have changed a bit in the past couple of years since they brought in some big-wigs from the Cleveland Clinic who wanted to recruit more "names" (e.g., Duke, UW, etc.). I talked with a cards fellow that is a recent match, and he said it's not impossible to get in as an internal candidate. The keys are probably the same as anywhere: work hard in the CCU, and be nice and get along with everyone. Some people have trouble with the former, others with the latter. The fellow said cards at UK depend a lot on "mid-level" people, like PA's & nurse practitioners, and some residents get a "Dr. God complex" and treat those people like they're inferior, which of course hurts their chances of getting in good with the people you need to do so.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps some.

Something I considered in deciding whether to apply to UK or UL (I didn't consider it terribly necessary to apply to both) was their success in the Match. From the statistics available from the AAMC, UK has consistently matched all their spots, whereas UL has had some trouble doing so, filling spots in the scramble.[\quote]

There is a resident in the UK IM program right now who got in last year through the scramble.

Sorry , i cant shed much light on the cards fellowship. However, most of the cards fellows that i know are originally from u of l residency.

I apologize, but I had to knock off the last 40% or so in order to accommodate attachment size limitations for this thread. This data is from the 2007 Match, which shows that UK IM filled the entirety of their quota, both in categorical and primary care (p. 17); this is to be contrasted to UL (p. 18) for the purposes pertinent to this topic.

If there is sufficient interest, I could post the remaining portions subsequently.

Attachments

• Program Match Outcome Positions copy.pdf
    274 KB · Views: 273
Med peds is part of the IM program.

Med-Peds is a hybrid that I was not interested in. Likewise, I did not feel that I could judge a Medicine program on the basis of its Med-Peds, as the introduction of pediatrics (particularly as a co-department in running the show) produces a variable that I was not willing to countenance (again, I admit up front that is not my interest). If one is considering Med-Peds then by all means that should be taken into account; you may note that UL has matched all Med-Peds positions. Perhaps the have a stronger Med-Peds program, but, as that was not my field, I did not choose to investigate further.

Getting back to usmlematch's original question: as you'll find on the interview trail, it's all about where you find is the best fit for you. Even though exposure is limited to a day (and one where they pull out all the stops), you can still get a feel for that. I'm really happy, MedicineDoc is really not, and you'll find those and a lot in between regardless of where you go. That's the bottom line. You'll be fine.