U of Louisville School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_bigboi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this to the premed message board but think it applies more to this one.............

Can anyone tell me anything about this school? I am starting there in the Fall and was wondering what others may think of the school. Also, if anyone can recommend good apartments that would be helpful too. I chose UofL over UK for a few personal reasons and I'm wanting to know if I really made a wise decision. I have however heard horror stories of the ghetto like neighborhood the med school is located. Any input at all will be useful...thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think both schools have their good and bad points, but UofL has the better hospitals. First and second year are a pain (just like it is at Pikeville).UK likes to brag about their first and second year and how little they are in class, but in actuality, they are in class just as much, required group meetings in the evening and Saturday classes.
I would rather go to 8 to 5 M-F. I was told this by a second year at UofL so I don't know if it is true. I would not worry about the ghetto unless you are planning on living near the school.

I just graduated from UK and I had a good four years there. I am not sure where the previous poster got his info, but during my four years, I never had an evening or Saturday class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at UofL med school (2nd year). Although it would be nice to be done with class early every day (like UK), it is even better to get 3 months off between first & second year. The first 2 years at UofL aren't stellar, but the clinical years are supposed to be outstanding. As far as the neighborhood of the school, it isn't *that* bad. Yeah, the projects are only a block away, and I wouldn't walk around alone after dark, I've never been bothered by anyone. There is a constant police/security presence around the campus.
What else do you want to know? I'm happy to help.

medlou, what's the schedule like for 1st and 2nd year? What time does class usually start and end during the week. A few people have told me that the schedule at UK is a lot better. Is the entire day spent in class?

The first two years are typically all-day classes. Some semesters are worse than others. For example, first semester of year 1, three days/week start at 1pm. Second semester is 8-5 almost daily. It is bad, but there are several advantages (that I can see) to UofL over UK. After first year, UofL gets a 3 month break, whereas UK only gets a couple of weeks. Also, the clinical years are supposed to be better at UofL. Of course, I am a little biased. : )
Any other questions?

Thanks for the info medlou. Anything else you can tell me of what to expect at U of L? have any opinions about good apartments in the area? I'm not real familiar with Louisville so any suggestions would be helpful.

Although the school/hospital itself isn't in the best location, you never really feel the atmosphere around the complex. It isn't bad at all. There are tons of places to live within a few miles, though. Most people live to the east of the city: Highlands, Clifton, Frankfort Ave, St. Matthews are all great places to live, and all within a 10-15 minute drive. A good portion of the people who live in a apartment complex called RiverOaks (Mellwood Ave) are either medical or dental students. It's a nice area, but I don't know about cost. I have no idea what a "fair" apt. cost is anymore--it's been a while since I rented.
As far as school goes, prepare for "Black Monday"--it's about 4 weeks into school & you have 4 exams on one day. It seems like hell at the time, but you'll look back on it as a fond memory! : ) Also, plan on spending some time at school during "Health Awareness Week"--it is a good way to get to know your classmates & get more familiar with the area.
You say you're not from L'ville; where do you live?
Feel free to ask more questions.

medlou, thanks for the help again. I live in Lexington. Just graduated from UK. I need to come down and check out apartments. I will check out those areas. One apartment complex people have recommended to me is Phoenix Place apartments. It's supposed to be within walking distance of campus. I'll have to check it out along with a few others.

Phoenix Place has decent-looking apartments, but they are literally in between the low-income projects & the ER door of the hospital. If you are a guy, it may be okay. If you are female, I would say absolutely not. It is a pretty rough area down there, and you are on the FAR side of the med campus (thus you don't have the "protection" of the medical school and hospitals surrounding you). But I know some med students live there. Just be careful!